Challenge Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jobo

Challenge Cup

Post by jobo »

The R.L are asking the cup holders for a £500,000 deposit to defend their trophy 😳😳😳

Who the heck thought that one up?
josie andrews

Re: Challenge Cup

Post by josie andrews »

It’s because the RFL lost money with Catalan winning it!

Catalans refuse to pay Challenge Cup deposit

The reigning Challenge Cup holders, Catalans Dragons, might not participate in this year’s competition after asking the RFL to reconsider its demand for a €550,000 deposit in order to play in 2019.

Les Dracs have reportedly followed in the footsteps of Toronto Wolfpack and Toulouse Olympique and refused to pay the bond demanded of non-English clubs to feature in the illustrious competition.

The RFL asked all three clubs to pay the fee to cover any reductions in revenue due to their potential involvement in the latter stages of the competition. Last year’s final, which saw Steve McNamara’s side defeat Warrington at Wembley, drew a crowd of 50,672, the lowest attendance for a Wembley final since 1937.

As a result, the RFL missed out on a lot of projected revenue and made the decision to request a bond from the three non-Super League clubs in order to cover their finances moving forward.

However, Toronto and Toulouse immediately refused the demands and therefore will not be playing in the competition, and now the reigning holders could follow suit, according to L’Indépendant‏.

The RFL has been contacted for comment.

Given that the three overseas clubs are not full members of the RFL, they are invited to play in the competition, as opposed to full member clubs whose participation is compulsory. However, given that, full member clubs have not been asked for a deposit despite many of those involved drawing smaller gates than the three overseas clubs.

http://www.totalrl.com/catalans-to-quit-challenge-cup/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I think some of the bigger clubs should stand with Cats and say they don't play we don't play. absolute disgrace and RFL need to be ashamed of themselves.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Fujiman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 pm I think some of the bigger clubs should stand with Cats and say they don't play we don't play. absolute disgrace and RFL need to be ashamed of themselves.
Couldn't agree more.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Another self hammered nail in the coffin, The RFL is not fit for purpose
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

i read this and actually had to check if it was the 1st of April.

they are trying to shift there inability to promote the challenge cup effectively onto the teams involved.

even worse, we don't have a sponsor for the challenge cup yet.

1 step forward 2 step back for the RFL, while i understand attendance is low this cannot be down to just the teams. make a event of it, organize package deals, promote the game to neutrals better.

i'd love to see an early bird deal for the Cup, get tickets before we even know the final teams.

*run a competition leading up to the final to get fans involved
*do more to promote the game leading up. maybe from the quarter finals put a number of final tickets on random chairs or even just the x number fan through the gate wins final tickets. Give people a reason to turn up!!!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Surely this can't be right - I can't see any sense to this?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 pm i read this and actually had to check if it was the 1st of April.

they are trying to shift there inability to promote the challenge cup effectively onto the teams involved.

even worse, we don't have a sponsor for the challenge cup yet.

1 step forward 2 step back for the RFL, while i understand attendance is low this cannot be down to just the teams. make a event of it, organize package deals, promote the game to neutrals better.

i'd love to see an early bird deal for the Cup, get tickets before we even know the final teams.

*run a competition leading up to the final to get fans involved
*do more to promote the game leading up. maybe from the quarter finals put a number of final tickets on random chairs or even just the x number fan through the gate wins final tickets. Give people a reason to turn up!!!
There is some sort of an early bird deal for the CC.
https://rugbyleague.tickethour.co.uk/se ... 6c96d06194

Think it’s about to end though!

I think the RFL need to get rid of the Magic weekend & put more effort into the Cup! It is the oldest competition in RL for God’s sake!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Post by doc »

I thought Magic Weekend was played under the Super league banner rather than the RFL.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Utter shambles and in no way shape or form should Catalan pay them anything, its very clear from this the challenge cup doesn't seem to be the comp it once was, if you needed telling this I'd be amazed and as such the RFL should have looked for a smaller ground away from Wembley rather than tie a dying coipition to a ground it simply couldn't and can't get anywhere near to selling outlets not forget back to when Hull and Wigan played there a couple of years back it was way off a sell out..its time to face reality and admit defeat Wembley isn't the ground that the sport can fill anymore and the fact it as a sport it seems now goes around trying to strong-arm the holders for money shows this.