SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
OAMJSONA

Re: SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Post by OAMJSONA »

Surely this identifies what a lot of us have been thinking and saying for a few years now , that our game is dying a death and probably quicker than we thought
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Wigan_forever1985

Re: SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For me the largest part of the issue is simple

the league has no meaning - until you address that i don't see attendances improving
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:54 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm Thursday nights games don’t help especially if travelling up or down the M62!

The video ref & inconsistency within the referees is also a problem IMO.
Don't know about that Josie. It's a huge drop for both Wigan and Leeds which imo, points to the problem being a bit more deep seated.
Thursday night games are a bigger problem than we realise IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I certainly agree over the Thursday night games, but lets be fair the grand final last season was down 8 thousand or so, against 2 teams local to Old Trafford,i cant speak for others but I noticed less of the neutral fan round by where we were sitting.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thursdays are massive and have been as the last years Sts game was Thursday as was the years before and hello....its Thursday again this year. This will know a few thousand from the attendance from Wigan or Saints attendances.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The main reason people attend sport is to be entertained. Ok, there will be fans of both teams who follow them no matter what but the rest of people are there to enjoy the game.

But this is not happening at the moment as our sport has become boring. This has nothing to do with the league structure as there are many entertaining games in the lower leagues and at amateur level. The problem with Super League is the obsession in penalties and the stop start of the game. Its just not exiting anymore and more and more people are going away bored.

Another problem especially at Wigan is the ground. There is a lack of atmosphere as most people are quite a distance from the pitch, epically sat in the south when the action is near the north. This results in people losing interest in the game and then talking amongst themselves. This never happened in front of the Sullivan bar at central park as you felt close to the action, and why at grounds like Cas you feel like you've been to a proper rugby game.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree the entertainment value has dipped but i still believe the league structure underpins a lot of the problems

There is a reason pre-season games don't attract big crowds being they have little to no worth - they can be as entertaining as you like but they have no meaning so people decide not to go.

The league (especially the first part) really has lost all meaning. In any sport you have the faithfuls the fans who will sacrifice everything to go to the game, then you have the people who will go most the time, then you have the casuals. You need all 3 groups to be able to maintain crowds. In football every game counts because the league is the main award, so even when Man City play relegation fodder - they still need to win that game because they cant afford to drop points.

The first part of the league is now simply a long pre-season, yes you cant afford to lose every match but if you're a top team youre likely to get through to the next stage.

Our game has boiled down to being all about the play-off's and grandfinal, St Helens reaction (or lack of it) for winning the league last year shows how little it matters. The makes the games less intense because neither side really care about those earlier games. How often are players rested because coaches want to keep their powder dry for the "main event" That lack of intensity is the felt in the crowd, if you're busy and its cold whats the incentive to get down to the game to watch more often than not, two under strength teams play a match that has absolutely no meaning or intensity. Its one of the reasons we are able to keep lockers turning round, in a sport where you needed performances all season he wouldnt be an option but you only need 5-6 games out of him, Added to the that all the "big games" normally get a groupon offer or some kind of scheme so out of the meaningless first half of the season you can afford to pick and chose your matches.

If the grandfinal concept didnt exist teams would be forced to play for every point, im not saying that the Grand Final concept doesnt work but you cant deny the current structure takes intensity from the league
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
wigtop

Post by wigtop »

Newbie here. Been following this site for a long time and now the site and rules are much better decided to join. I came to RL through my girl friend, now my wife and very glad I did. Coming from a football environment I can appreciate what RL brings, excitement, humour, travel, (Oz x 2: Paris: Perp: Montpelier: Magic: Barcelona) and the comradely feeling amongst nearly all RL fans. We should all be extolling these virtues to encourage others to join in. I do agree with previous posters regarding the DW stadium, just a pity that the south stand does not project the crowd like the north stand. The switch to summer rugby did not deliver what was hoped for, 31 January is not summer! :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm
There is a reason pre-season games don't attract big crowds being they have little to no worth - they can be as entertaining as you like but they have no meaning so people decide not to go.
The other reason they don’t attract big crowds is;

The London Skolars game a friendly where the team is 99% Academy players. The ticket cost for this game is £21.68! (Don’t ask how they get 68p!)

Then we play the only SL club Salford. Cost not a big problem £10 & £5, plus it’s just down the road. The only drawback is being sat in the very end block! (I’d sooner stand anyway, but...)

Then we play Barrow. Don’t know cost of tickets yet but already Lammy has stated he will be putting out players not in the first 17!

I’m going to London overnight on Thursday & we were going to call & watch the “Capital Challenge” before heading back home. But just short of £22 for an Academy friendly is a bit much IMO. So we will more than likely miss that & now it seems we will miss the Barrow game if they propose to field a weakened team.

I just don’t get the point of having “friendlies”!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Cant disagree with you Josie,the cost is insane for what as you point out basically an academy game, the Salford game is pitched about right though lets be fair the AJ in July is cold let alone January so honestly thats what's put us off going, but there you Goethe cost for the London is madness surely it would be better pitched at a tenner and try and hoover up a few floating fans down, the sport doesn't do itself any favours at times.