SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Post by josie andrews »

Super League’s average attendances continued to fall in 2018 with the average across the league down to 8,547.

Despite their struggles on the pitch and major reconstruction at Headingley Stadium, Leeds Rhinos recorded the highest average of the campaign with 12,807.

Hull FC, another team who had their on-field problems last season, were second on the list posting 12,174 with Champions Wigan third showing an average of 11,708.

League Leaders’ St Helens averaged 11,478 and along with Hull FC were the only two clubs to improve on their average attendance from 2017.

Wigan, Castleford and Salford posted significant losses in their average attendances with the Red Devils gate coming in at a lowly 2,748, some 2,000 down on the previous season.

Last season’s average attendances (2017 average in brackets):

Leeds Rhinos 12,807 (14,950)

Hull FC 12,174 (11,718)

Wigan Warriors 11,708 (13,983)

St Helens 11,478 (10,749)

Warrington Wolves 10,088 (10,478)

Catalans Dragons 8,353 (8,777)

Hull KR 7,964 (NA)

Castleford Tigers 7,898 (9,525)

Huddersfield Giants 5,745 (5,826)

Wakefield Trinity 5,244 (5,289)

Salford Red Devils 2,748 (4,703)

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/super-le ... ing-18712/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Post by josie andrews »

Thursday nights games don’t help especially if travelling up or down the M62!

The video ref & inconsistency within the referees is also a problem IMO.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: SUPER LEAGUE AVERAGE ATTENDANCES FOR 2018 REVEALED – AND IT’S NOT GOOD READING!

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm Thursday nights games don’t help especially if travelling up or down the M62!

The video ref & inconsistency within the referees is also a problem IMO.
Don't know about that Josie. It's a huge drop for both Wigan and Leeds which imo, points to the problem being a bit more deep seated.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I bet it goes up this season.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

What do people expect when the fans just spout negativity?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:26 pm What do people expect when the fans just spout negativity?
Whats that got to do with attendances?

It seems to me those who choose to knock the game are in the right to do so and those who no longer go to games are, quite possibly lost to the game for good and won't read or register any negativity surrounding the game.

Thats a pretty big drop,Leeds were rebuilding lets not forget so those who missed out will be back this season and certainly when all their building work is done and dusted,(going to be a nice ground when its done, well 3 sides of it anyway)I cant for the love of me think of a reason though for Wigans drops thought while not perfect the rugby on offer was much better than certainly the season before which was a disgrace even with the WCC win.

I wonder now if the Australian folly had an effect?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Plenty, if someone is not a die hard any every time they look at something regarding a club is negative then they can be put off.

if you are a neutral or just have a passing curiosity about the sport and you look at either of the main forums they are mainly negative, why would you bother watching if the actual fans are unhappy with the sport.

do i blame just fans for the lower attendances no. do i believe fans are having a impact on lower crowds and people being put off the game ABSOLUTELY!

at wigan i am of the opinion that the stadium is a major issue in crowds, the away stand has a different roof and ever 12 salford fans can be heard everywhere, the other stands have plastic and sound dead. the lack of atmosphere is so off putting sometimes especially on lower attendance games that i can see why people might not want to go.

that is down to DW and Wigan though, they need to turn game days into family events like Leeds do not just have 1 or 2 tiny little things on. (they did get better at this last season with turning the carpark into a mini fair.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I just find it odd that a conversation between lapsed fans can go something like.."here Molly,fancy a night out down the DW","no chance Stan,those nasty fans are taking negative again..I cant bear it lets go to the football, the pub, the cinema, a meal,stay in and watch call the midwife, go jogging, bingo"...you get my (rather sarcastic) drift, there is simply so much more to do now and once you lose those fans they're not coming back, no matter what the current speakings on a forum/facebook/twitter happen to belie think you give it to much power.

You do raise a point over the DW and the dreadful match day "entertainment" such as it is,youre right Leeds do that sort of thing really well but when the place is a sell out most games its easier I suspect to do regularly,the DW as a stadium is too big and cavernous for a rugby grounds look at the haliwell jones and envy the noise they get in there even on a day/night that's not overflowing, full and its a cauldron if only Wigan could have something like that.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Switching the home fans to the North stand will create a noisy atmosphere with the solid roof a few hundred fans generate a big noise from there.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Or put microphones in the South Stand?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards