TOMKINS NAMED HULL KR CAPTAIN AFTER LUNT STEPS DOWN FROM ROLE

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

TOMKINS NAMED HULL KR CAPTAIN AFTER LUNT STEPS DOWN FROM ROLE

Post by josie andrews »

FORMER WIGAN AND ENGLAND FORWARD JOEL TOMKINS HAS BEEN APPOINTED AS HULL KINGSTON ROVERS' NEW CAPTAIN FOR 2019.

The 31-year-old Tomkins, who has made just nine appearances for the Robins since joining them from Wigan last summer, was elected to the role following a poll of the players.

He takes over from hooker Shaun Lunt, who stepped down after two years to focus on his recovery from illness.

“It’s a massive privilege to be given the job, especially as the boys voted for it,” said Tomkins.

That really means a lot to me. I’ve worked really hard since I’ve come here to make a good impression and this is a big reward for that.

“Obviously Shaun has had a few issues towards the back end of last season and he hasn’t really done much so far this pre-season so he decided to step down but he has still got a massive role to play.

📽️ KRTV - Being appointed YOUR captain from 2019, we caught up with Joel Tomkins...

We have a big group of senior boys so it is not just down to me, we have a big group of leaders here.”

“I’m really looking forward to the next few years – I can’t wait to see what’s to come.”

Lunt, 31, who led Rovers to promotion from the Championship in 2017, spent three weeks in hospital towards the end of last season with what turned out to be an abscess on his spine and relinquished the captaincy to focus on his rehabilitation.

“I thought that with everything that I went through last year, I’ve got to concentrate on my health,” he said.

“I’ve got a long way to go to get back to 100 per cent. In terms of captaincy and the added pressure I feel like I didn’t need it.

Following a two-year tenure as captain of Hull Kingston Rovers, we can now confirm @Shaun_Lunt will be stepping down for 2019, making room for the latest man to fill the boots of the fans favourite.

“I need to be selfish and worry about myself and make sure that my health is 100 per cent.

“Another thing is that I haven’t really focused on pre-season just yet – I don’t think I am in a position to have earned it. The lads have worked hard all pre-season so I don’t think I deserved it this year.

“It was a great honour to help lead this club and something I have really cherished these last two seasons.”

https://www.rugby-league.com/superleagu ... -from-role
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan