WARRINGTON WIN RACE TO SIGN GARETH WIDDOP

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: WARRINGTON WIN RACE TO SIGN GARETH WIDDOP

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im not sold on Widdop

I dont watch NRL so my viewings of him are limited to England appearances so i accept i may be way off the mark but ive never watched him and thought "WOW" he seems to me like a Matty Smith but 10% better at everything
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

sooo, celtic crusaders finished bottom, bradford how did they do? then played for a champ 2 team....our academy would prob win that league. Remind me what team did they beat with London? Toronto? we saw how good they were in the CC. If your happy with that standard cool, I am not.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:07 am sooo, celtic crusaders finished bottom, bradford how did they do? then played for a champ 2 team....our academy would prob win that league. Remind me what team did they beat with London? Toronto? we saw how good they were in the CC. If your happy with that standard cool, I am not.

If you remember, Crusaders beat us at Wrexham ! Their season fell apart due to all their Aussie players having their visas cancelled and which led to Administration. Coaches they had were Iestyn Harris and Brian Noble, amongst others.
Bradford Bulls too, if you remember, were a top side (WCC, SL, etc.) until financial mismanagement caused their meltdown into Administration and the loss of all their top players. Their record speaks for itself.

Toronto, also if you recall, had major discipline issues with numerous (?) red/yellow cards in that CC match, until that point were doing ok and later beat SL teams in the Super 8's !

Don't wrongly confuse one players abilities over the consequencies of a club's financial mishandling, which is no fault of his, and you're pre judging a player before you've even had chance to boo him 8-) !
pedro

Post by pedro »

you cant have it both ways. He played for Bradford after their financial issues and relegation from SL. you can t say they used to be good as so did Hunslet...

if your happy with that signing fair play to you, I would prefer a bit of class instead of a championship player in his 30's
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:58 pm you cant have it both ways. He played for Bradford after their financial issues and relegation from SL. you can t say they used to be good as so did Hunslet...

if your happy with that signing fair play to you, I would prefer a bit of class instead of a championship player in his 30's
Just to be accurate Pedro, he played for the Bulls in Super League well before their financial woes and subsequent liquidation, when they were docked 10 (or 12 pts ?).
Blake Austin might well be Wolves “marquee” signing but he’s not won anything in his career to date, and its still unknown how he’ll settle in the U.K. so still has it all to prove.
pedro

Post by pedro »

no he didnt it was the same year 2012
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:45 pm no he didnt it was the same year 2012
He played SL for the Bulls from 2012 - it was only in 2014 that they were relegated to the Championship, following from points deduction by the RFL together with their failure to pay their players and coach (Mick Potter).
pedro

Post by pedro »

they went into admin in 2012
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:23 pm they went into admin in 2012
They went into "Receivership" in 2012, that's a different process to going into Administration. So they continued in SL that year, with Mick Potter as coach, and if I remember, even made the SL Play-Off Semi Final !
For most of that season, he went unpaid, carrying out his coaching role voluntarily, as happened with most of the players. A new board of directors kept the club breathing.
Things financially went downhill, even after the supporters fund which raised a Million, didn't realise enough to keep the club afloat, and in 2014 they did go into Administration, leading to a 6 points deduction, which led to their relegation.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Bradford, who entered administration in both 2012 and 2014, faced a winding-up petition from HM Revenue & Customs in October. - nope 2012 was in admin