WARRINGTON WIN RACE TO SIGN GARETH WIDDOP

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

WARRINGTON WIN RACE TO SIGN GARETH WIDDOP

Post by josie andrews »

England international Gareth Widdop has agreed a deal to join Warrington Wolves in 2020 according to The Daily Telegraph.

The Wolves have beaten off competition from Huddersfield, Wigan, Leeds and St Helens to sign the 29-year-old, who will walk away from the final two years of his contract with St George Illawarra.

Widdop, who emigrated to Australia as a teenager and currently captains the Dragons, will take a big pay cut to play in Super League with his current NRL deal worth $1.8 million.

It’s a decision that has shocked his current club, but the Halifax-born playmaker wants to spend the remainder of his career in England after a decade in the NRL with Melbourne and St George.

Speaking in November, Widdop said: “There’s no secret I have aspirations of going over to the UK and playing.”

“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I have a good relationship with the club and so when the time is right we’ll work together.”

Warrington, who are backed by millionaire owner Simon Moran, are not short of high profile signings and will likely link Widdop up with another former NRL star Blake Austin.

Austin joined the Wolves ahead of the current season and is expected to take the club to another level after losing both major finals last year under Australian head coach Steve Price.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/warringt ... dop-18740/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: WARRINGTON WIN RACE TO SIGN GARETH WIDDOP

Post by josie andrews »

Wires accountant must be amazing at juggling! 😱
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 pm Wires accountant must be amazing at juggling! 😱
He doesn't need to be if Widdop is the second Marquee signing.

I was a bit gutted when I heard he'd signed for Warrington, especially with them also having Blake Austin.

But if someone had said we had signed him, but Williams was going to Wire, then I'm not sure how I would feel.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Somewhat disappointed that we have missed this opportunity, but on the other hand, do want a 30year half back with a recent history of injuries?
I know Danny Richardson had a breakout year last year, but surely he is a future England & GB halfback, so I would be closing monitoring him with a view to signing him.
pedro

Post by pedro »

its fine we have Sammut still then....
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:50 pm its fine we have Sammut still then....
…...And ?

He's not passed or kicked a b....y ball yet !!
pedro

Post by pedro »

:lol: similar class eh
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Dont write Sammut off yet he may surprise a few of you he is a clever player in the same mould as Austin :o :o :o :o
pedro

Post by pedro »

he just isnt, been around years and showed hes mediocre at best everywhere hes been. Hes a championship player.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:42 pm he just isnt, been around years and showed hes mediocre at best everywhere hes been. Hes a championship player.
According to his Wiki records, he's played Super League for NW Crusaders (35) who during his tenure, they had a financial meltdown, Wakefield (21), Bradford (40) and only departed the Bulls owing to their off field financial chaos.
This led to him having no club, as a free agent, after Bradford's enforced RFL two-division relegation, so signed for a season with Workington (25) who won promotion that season.
He was then signed by London (55) and spearheaded their promotion to SL this season, in a very strong competition e.g.Toronto.
He's also played for Penrith Panthers in the NRL (40).

I'd suggest his record above holds up pretty well as a "Championship" player !