Third Marquee Player?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Third Marquee Player?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Third Marquee Player?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think they would be better served looking at player sponsorship exemptions if we are looking to grow the sport.

Ive said for a long time now and i believe Eddie Hearn also commented on this that the sport will not grow until the players can break out from the sport. Teams dont sell sports to neutrals, players/sports people do.

The only way players will get out of the bubble is if they become marketable but i believe that at the moment they cant do that because money they make from it counts towards the cap (feel free to correct me). If that restriction was removed it would encourage players and their agents (necessary evils they are) to push outside the boundaries of the sport. It could also give the sport a cash injection
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Who can afford three marquee players?

It seems Wigan couldn’t afford two of them so another one is debatable to its value,I suppose Leeds and Wire can afford them but no one else.

As Wigan forever says players sell sport not clubs the sooner that is addressed the better,if the cap is to continue (and who is policing the cap now an aparant split has happened twixt the SL and RFL?),the club,on the back of player X gets the benefit but for that benefit to happen the contract on offer has to allow the player better chances of sponsorship it would become the norm and you get a few good looking guys selling product x to the general public then they would at least look at the sport.?

I was listening to the Forty-20 podcast the other night and Phil Caplin and he mentioned Netball at the echo arena in Liverpool and how full it was,they post pics up of events and sure enough the crowd there was an almost sell out..Netball and try to kid ourselves that rugby league is still a big sport it isn’t,it can be again but something has to change.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm I think they would be better served looking at player sponsorship exemptions if we are looking to grow the sport.

Ive said for a long time now and i believe Eddie Hearn also commented on this that the sport will not grow until the players can break out from the sport. Teams dont sell sports to neutrals, players/sports people do.

The only way players will get out of the bubble is if they become marketable but i believe that at the moment they cant do that because money they make from it counts towards the cap (feel free to correct me). If that restriction was removed it would encourage players and their agents (necessary evils they are) to push outside the boundaries of the sport. It could also give the sport a cash injection
I have been saying the same thing for a long time and you are right, the reason this does not happen is money earned from a players image rights (picture on the side of a bus advertising something in simple terms) counts against the cap.

The argument against removing this restriction is that clubs with star players effectively get a loophole around the cap but if you are going to give them other loopholes as in three marquee slots which only the richest could exploit, then I don't see the logic in that.

Surely it would be easier for clubs like Wakefield to keep good players if they could earn more in this way when they can't afford to make them marquee players even if they wanted to.

If it comes in one thing is for sure. IL needs to pull his finger out in increasing the clubs income or we will start being bracketed with Wakefield, not Leeds and Wire.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A third marquee player & some clubs are saying they can’t afford to run a Reserve team??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:29 am A third marquee player & some clubs are saying they can’t afford to run a Reserve team??
You can’t make it up can you?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:29 am A third marquee player & some clubs are saying they can’t afford to run a Reserve team??
A very good point Josie. The wages of three marquee players would probably cover a reserve team easily.