Catalans’ entry in Challenge Cup confirmed as Coral come in as sponsors

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Catalans’ entry in Challenge Cup confirmed as Coral come in as sponsors

Post by josie andrews »

Catalans Dragons’ place in the Challenge Cup has been confirmed after the holders came to an agreement with the RFL.

The Dragons, who famously beat Warrington at Wembley last year, had been asked to pay a bond in the region of £500,000 to enter the competition to cover any potential losses due to their involvement in another final.

The RFL lost a significant sum of expected revenue last year after the final attracted a crowd of just over 50,000.

Toronto and Toulouse had also been asked to pay the same fee but refused, leaving them out of the competition.

Catalans, however, insist they would play in the cup, but refused to pay to do so.

As a result, the RFL faced the prospect of kicking the holders out, but an agreement has now been reached.

It remains to be seen how the news effects Toronto’s potential involvement, with their UK Business Development Manager Martin Vickers confirming in League Express that they are still keen to play.

“We are watching the Catalans development closely as our preference would be to participate in the Challenge Cup,” he said.

“We are not in any direct discussions ourselves with the RFL on this matter at the present time.”

Meanwhile, the RFL has also confirmed Coral as the new sponsors of the competition.

The betting firm has agreed a two-year deal, seven-figure deal to sponsor both the men’s and women’s competitions.

“This is a really significant day both for the Challenge Cup, and for women’s Rugby League,” said Ralph Rimmer, the RFL chief executive.

“The men’s Challenge Cup is one of the iconic competitions and trophies of British sport, with more than 120 years of history, and the famous Wembley final televised live to the nation and the world by the BBC.

“The Women’s Challenge Cup may not have that history, but Coral’s enthusiasm for it to be part of a joint sponsorship deal confirms our determination that it is set for a really exciting future.”

The governing body has confirmed the semi-final will also return to the University of Bolton Stadium but will now be a tripleheader, with the Women’s final taking place on that day.

http://www.totalrl.com/catalanss-entry- ... -sponsors/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Catalans’ entry in Challenge Cup confirmed as Coral come in as sponsors

Post by moto748 »

So are they paying the £500k or not?

Presumably not?
pedro

Post by pedro »

does that mean toronto and toulouse can play aswell now?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It is said in the trade press that they are paying something but doesn't say how much.
Ridiculous that they have to pay anything.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I don't see why Toronto and Toulouse can't play in the cup as there isn't much chance of them getting to the final.

As for Catalans, then that's just the way it is if they get to the final. I'm sure other team haven't had to pay like Huddersfield and Salford as I assume they would take many.

Its just lost a bit of appeal, being in the middle of August doesn't help so hopefully this may change next year.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

it is being moved next year to July
The Challenge Cup final at Wembley Stadium is to be moved from August to July in 2020.
The Rugby Football League have signed a new deal for the final to remain at Wembley, its traditional home for almost a century, until 2027.
Chief executive Ralph Rimmer said: "This is a significant and exciting day for our relationship with Wembley.
"Next year we will celebrate the 90th anniversary of the first Challenge Cup final at Wembley in 1929."
This is the first change to the scheduling of the cup final since it was moved from its traditional May berth to the August Bank Holiday weekend in 2005.
Wembley's big day has been hit by falling gates in recent seasons - in the wake of rising prices, the growth of the Super League Grand Final and Wembley's rebuilt stadium losing its once iconic lur
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

So what would the RFL do If Millom, Ovenden or Hull Isberg did the unimaginable and by some miracle won the final, would they then be charged to take part the following season?, I thought the whole idea of the Challenge Cup was that every club has a chance to win if they are good enough (in theory), The RFL continue to make a laughing stock of the game, They are not fit for purpose
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:05 pm So what would the RFL do If Millom, Ovenden or Hull Isberg did the unimaginable and by some miracle won the final, would they then be charged to take part the following season?, I thought the whole idea of the Challenge Cup was that every club has a chance to win if they are good enough (in theory), The RFL continue to make a laughing stock of the game, They are not fit for purpose
It's absolute madness. The RFL are in effect saying to some of the "lesser teams," but not all, that you have to pay a bond just in case you get to the final. I think it's disgraceful. The whole point of cup competitions is that every team has their fair shot at winning.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think they justify it because those teams are not full members of the RFL and therefore do not have to play in the CC each season. The other teams *have* to play as part of their membership.

However, IMO its a crazy thing to do, seeing as Belgrade haven't been asked to pay. I suppose its a compliment to Toronto and Toulouse - the RFL think they could make the final.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RFL to review Challenge Cup policies following Catalans saga

RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer has confirmed the governing body will review its decision to request bonds from non-member clubs to enter the Challenge Cup.

It appeared the historic competition would not feature the defending holders in 2019 after the Dragons refused to commit to covering a shortfall in ticket sales.

But the RFL confirmed they had come to an agreement with the Dragons on Monday that would ensure they play next year.

It’s believed the RFL were keen to receive the commitment from all non-member clubs to make up for a shortfall in ticket sales following last year’s disappointing Wembley attendance.

Rimmer, who would not disclose the details behind their agreement with the French club, admitted they would reconsider the policy moving forward, but insisted they were acting on behalf of the game.

“We will review everything next year but in the end, the governing body has a responsibility to its members, so there was no abdication of our responsibility to the game, in the end, Catalans have been very supportive.

“We’ll be reviewing everything over the Summer and we’ll put something in place for next year.

“The details of that (the deal with Catalans) are commercially sensitive, but Bernard (Guasch) has been really good and we’re delighted they’re going to be in it.

“I don’t think it’s a PR disaster, I’m really excited and we start on Sunday with Millom and Red Star Belgrade, which is something I never thought I’d see in my lifetime.”

Rimmer confirmed Toronto would not be reinstated, however, despite Wolfpack officials saying there was still a chance of them being included.

The Canadian club had also refused to the arrangements, but unlike Catalans, Rimmer insists they won’t be playing in the Cup this year.

“It’s really straightforward. They know what the situation is, the competition is as we see it.

“I like David Argyle a lot, he’s got a little twinkle in his eye, but they won’t be in the Challenge Cup this year.

“The whole structure has been worked out. They’re aware of that.”

Rimmer was speaking following the announcement of a major broadcast boost for the game below Super League, with SKY set to show every Toronto Wolfpack game this year.

Beyond that, OURLeague, the RFL’s official app, will be streaming a game a week from Championship, League 1 or the Women’s Super League.

It comes after years of calls from within the game to give the lower leagues more exposure, with Rimmer one of the most vocal advocates.

“We can look forward to some fabulous Rugby League but not only that but some great coverage.

“I think it was brilliant. We tried really hard, Mark Foster dealt with it superbly. The Wolfpack as well have played their part in the role. We’re going to get some really good coverage for these divisions next year and that gives us the ability to promote what they do and to many people who will see it.

“It was a clear objective from us and I’d like to thank SKY. They’ve been great.”

Rimmer would not be drawn on the application from a New York-based franchise to enter the competition in 2020 or the upcoming Lions tour, but confirmed he would discuss those topics and more in detail at a media briefing in February.

http://www.totalrl.com/rfl-to-review-ch ... lans-saga/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan