STUART PEARCE: RUGBY LEAGUE IS THE TOUGHEST SPORT

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

STUART PEARCE: RUGBY LEAGUE IS THE TOUGHEST SPORT

Post by josie andrews »

“THAT’S WHAT PUTS IT SO FAR AHEAD AND THE CAMARADERIE BETWEEN THE PLAYERS IS FANTASTIC."

Stuart Pearce was well-known as ‘Pyscho throughout his football career, the tough-tackling defender who knows few things about toughness claimed that Rugby League is the ‘toughest profession’.

Pearce won the Football League Cup twice as a player at Nottingham Forest in the late 80’s, and he was at the launch of the 2019 Super League season at Old Trafford, where he spoke passionately about the sport of Rugby League.

“From my point of view, the two toughest professions to play as a sportsman are Rugby League and a jump jockey - the players in Rugby League probably come out on top of the two.

“You’ve got to have a level of physical presence, technical ability both in your hands and feet.

“There’s also a war of endurance at times. It’s also got culture, it just offers everything.

“I think the two sports have got parallels but in some ways they’re a mile apart.

“The physical attrition that players have to go through on a game-by-game basis and recovery is nothing like football,” said the former England captain.

Pearce, who was known for his honest and passionate displays on the football field also praised the way Super League players conduct themselves on and off the field.

“We don’t have the contact in our [Football] game that is in Rugby League, that’s what puts it so far ahead and the camaraderie between the players is fantastic.

“We’ve got an epidemic of diving in football and you don’t see that in this profession.

“There’s a real genuine side to the players and I love to see the players at the end of the game, in a tough physical encounter there is still a camaraderie between the two teams.

“Secondly the way they interact with the fans after the games is fantastic to see,” admitted Pearce.

Pearce was introduced to Rugby League over a decade ago by former Warrington Wolves manager Tony Smith, since then he has supported The Wire.

He added: “I had a meeting with Tony Smith and he came into speak to some UEFA Pro Licence candidates, and I had a listen to him speak.

“I had an impression to what a Rugby League coach would be like and he’s blew that away, he was totally different, and I ended up going in to watch training at Warrington.

“That’s how I got my connection with Warrington Wolves and since then they’ve been friendly and warming towards me.

“When I was England U21 manager, Steve McNamara came to Wembley and we shared an afternoon together and we got to know each other well and his role with England had parallels to mine with the FA.”

The 2019 Super League season kicks off on January 31 at the Totally Wicked Stadium, where the Champions, Wigan Warriors will face the League Leaders’ Shield winners St Helens, live on Sky Sports Mix.

https://www.rugby-league.com/superleagu ... hest-sport
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan