Unexpected fall from grace for 90s NRL star

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Unexpected fall from grace for 90s NRL star

Post by josie andrews »

Sorry to hear this 😢

I’ve put the link, but it won’t work as it is a members only site, that’s why I’ve put the full story.

HE WAS considered one of the fastest men in the NRL and lauded as a hero for a 90-metre runaway try that helped secure the Maroons' 1995 Origin series win.

But 12 years after dropping off the scene following his retirement, Brett Dallas has re-emerged in Mackay Magistrates Court for petty theft for the second time.

It is unknown what caused the former winger's fall from grace.

Commanding a million-dollar contract at the height of his career, Dallas is now staying with family and friends and living off $150 a week.

Yesterday the 44-year-old former Mackay Brothers player pleaded guilty to stealing four pairs of board shorts, an SD card and portable charger in January and February this year and was captured on CCTV footage both times.

"He was ashamed of himself for stealing the items but he had been kicked out of his girlfriend's place and was currently staying with a friend,” prosecutor Brandon Selic said.

The court heard Dallas had also been staying with his parents in Mackay.

It is a far cry from the life he had planned after announcing his retirement in January 2007 when he said he wanted to settle in Sydney with his young family and pursue business interests.

"He said he needed the clothes because people kept stealing his and he did not have the money to pay for them,” Mr Selic said.

"He was not going to go to his parents for help because he wanted to be able to work his life out on his own.”

The court heard Dallas was paid money from a trust but he told police that people kept stealing his cash.

"It's $75 twice a week,” self-represented Dallas said of the trust payments.

Dallas was considered one of the princes of pace of the 90s, catching attention when he won the Buttercup Sprint Challenge at Botany in early 1993 after joining the Canterbury Bulldogs.

When he was just 18, the flame-haired speedster became Queensland's then-youngest State of Origin player. He went on to make 10 appearances for the Maroons between 1993 and 1997.

He also represented Australia in the World Cup making his international debut in 1995 and spent four years with North Sydney before joining English Super League club Wigan for seven seasons.

Dallas was also dealt with on March 4 for unauthorised dealing with shop goods and stealing when he was fined $450 and ordered to pay $516.70 restitution.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/reg ... d6907bf654
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Unexpected fall from grace for 90s NRL star

Post by ancientnloyal »

I thought he was setting up an electrical diy shop or something similar.

Sounds like he is on benefits in halfway houses doesn’t it.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Very sad this. I still have a picture where he left his boots in the centre of the pitch after his last game for Wigan.

Just shows you RL isn't a pro sport that sets you up for life. A short career and no financial security at the end of it so I think the education effort Wigan make for players is something IL can take credit for.

I think it was Josie who told me after he hung up his boots Rads was in a flat panic over how he was going to provide for his family and the club offering a job was a lifeline. We know what happen to Newton and plenty of other former players have gone off the rails.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The thing is most of these kids effectively train full time and whilst at college perhaps go through the motions. The ones that make it professionally or semi-pro perhaps miss out on University or apprenticeship placements.

They will have no qualifications or experience when they get to their mid 30s will they? It’s hard enough gaining an Apprenticeship these days or finding a job where “experience is needed”. Too many people too few skilled jobs. You can’t expect a mid 30s male to retrain, although it is possible. Then they go down the gym or nutrition route as that’s all they know from their working life.

I’d like to see investment in gaining qualifications, Leeds did if I recall. Maybe have partnerships with local sponsors to incorporate apprenticeships. Why not? If Plumbase sponsored Wigan why not take on an academy player part time!?

Then, where will this money come from.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote:The thing is most of these kids effectively train full time and whilst at college perhaps go through the motions. The ones that make it professionally or semi-pro perhaps miss out on University or apprenticeship placements.

They will have no qualifications or experience when they get to their mid 30s will they? It’s hard enough gaining an Apprenticeship these days or finding a job where “experience is needed”. Too many people too few skilled jobs. You can’t expect a mid 30s male to retrain, although it is possible. Then they go down the gym or nutrition route as that’s all they know from their working life.
You are probably right. I was probably being too optimistic with how effective any training Wigan give will really be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk