Manchester Rangers withdraw team after League One snub

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Manchester Rangers withdraw team after League One snub

Post by josie andrews »

Ambitious development club Manchester Rangers have withdrawn from their community league after their application to join League One was rejected.

Rangers formed in 2012 and played out of the impressive Manchester Regional Arena, situated as part of the campus at the Etihad Stadium, in the North West Men’s League.

From the off their ambition was to reach the professional game but have seen those ambitions quashed, despite making an offer to purchase the Hemel Stags licence which has since been purchased by the backers of the new Ottawa franchise.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ma ... lk_of_town
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Manchester Rangers withdraw team after League One snub

Post by Caboosegg »

And again the stupidity of our governing body strikes again.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Unbelievable.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Indeed

But let’s faff about letting team after team in from abroad,not against Toronto but any more is daft and as for this news is anyone surprised
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I really do not get the Canadian idea. I think even if Toronto get promoted, which they probably will, how long will this whole idea last?

To basically ignore the Manchester team is criminal especially if it was done to allow in another Canadian team. If you let one in I can understand the need for another for some local rivalry back in Canada but at the expense of a team in Manchester, a city I thought RL had always wanted to crack this seems ludicrous.

RL in this country is struggling and yet the RFL is still fixated in big ideas and grand plans to bring in teams from Canada. France I could understand maybe but there seems far too little pragmatism in the RFL still. This is something right out the Fat Controller's days in charge.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 pm I really do not get the Canadian idea. I think even if Toronto get promoted, which they probably will, how long will this whole idea last?

To basically ignore the Manchester team is criminal especially if it was done to allow in another Canadian team. If you let one in I can understand the need for another for some local rivalry back in Canada but at the expense of a team in Manchester, a city I thought RL had always wanted to crack this seems ludicrous.

RL in this country is struggling and yet the RFL is still fixated in big ideas and grand plans to bring in teams from Canada. France I could understand maybe but there seems far too little pragmatism in the RFL still. This is something right out the Fat Controller's days in charge.
Problem is Manchester already has Salford, Oldham and Swinton within a couple of miles of one another. Salford's in SL. Do we really think Manchester can achieve a ManU level of support in the city when all of these teams are really struggling to attract good crowds. Rather than creating more competition in that market we should be pushing one of these clubs to the front of the mind of the Manc public.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 pm I really do not get the Canadian idea. I think even if Toronto get promoted, which they probably will, how long will this whole idea last?

I thought re-branding Salford City Reds as the Red Devils was supposed to do this?

The fact is, without Rugby being played in schools, amateur youth leagues it isn't going to get going. Salford also have failed to really increase their gates to anything respectable that would suggest Manchester have an appetite for RL.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Problem is Manchester already has Salford, Oldham and Swinton within a couple of miles of one another. Salford's in SL. Do we really think Manchester can achieve a ManU level of support in the city when all of these teams are really struggling to attract good crowds. Rather than creating more competition in that market we should be pushing one of these clubs to the front of the mind of the Manc public.
Problem is, Salford are rubbish and Rugby League isn't marketed very well so it isn't going to happen. Especially in a City with two premier league football teams.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm

The Manchester Rangers seem to be showing the same kind of ambition as any of the would be SL teams from France or Canada. Oldham and Swinton are not Manchester just like Salford aren't. Trying to push existing clubs requires them to want to be pushed and be ambitious. I do not see that they are but neither can I see a Manchester supporter base forming around these clubs just like they won't support Salford.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Problem is, Salford are rubbish

They are playing better rugby than Wigan.