Selfish clubs have destroyed Magic Weekend says Chalmers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Selfish clubs have destroyed Magic Weekend says Chalmers

Post by josie andrews »

Bradford Bulls chairman Andrew Chalmers says that the lack of blockbuster games at this month’s Magic Weekend will destroy the concept.

Chalmers has pinned the blame on Super League clubs who have “saved their best match-ups for themselves” in order to have the greater chance of picking up a victory at Anfield.

The event originally included all derby fixtures but this year’s Magic only has one real standout fixture, as Warrington face Wigan in a repeat of last year’s Grand Final.

In his column on the Bulls website, Chalmers said: “It’s not that Liverpool is a poor choice; it may be a great location I simply don’t know; but the clubs, and I do mean the clubs, not the RFL, have chosen to keep back their best match ups for themselves.

“They have chosen to do this to justify the crazy loopy fixtures introduced this year. So for instance instead of a titanic Hull derby; we will be treated to Hull v Huddersfield and Salford v Hull KR. This is the kind of loopy decision you get when the clubs suit themselves.

“They all try and find opponents where they think they can win irrespective and forget about producing a block buster schedule. Let’s wait and see.”

Chalmers, often an outspoken figure, believes that Super League club’s narrow-minded thinking will see the Magic Weekend concept wither.

“Supporters are not tempted to go in the same numbers,” he said. “Instead of having the humility to accept that they stuffed up, this years predicted low attendance will get the neigh-sayers clamouring to bin the concept, saying it doesn’t work.

“Let’s have a 9’s tournament instead. And then like the Million Pound Game before it, the SL clubs will have destroyed another wonderful and commercially attractive Rugby League event.

“How much more commercial pain can the sport cope with? Anyway that’s for the Super League Chairmen and Robert Elstone to worry about.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/selfish- ... ers-20522/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Selfish clubs have destroyed Magic Weekend says Chalmers

Post by ancientnloyal »

Disagree. Before the season you’d say Hull v Hudds is more evenly matched than Hull v KR. I doubt St Helens’ opponents specifically asked to play them!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

What a load of rubbish from Chalmers. The rfl have moved a concept from a place that supporters looked upon as a week end away and watch loads of rugby with a holiday feeling back drop. to a place that the best supported clubs fans can reach in 40 mins. Taking away this break culture hence the no interest. I will go for Wigan game and that's it where like many others would spend weekend there and watch as many games as I liked. The blame lies solely with the backward thinking of RFL once again shooting our game in the foot Pxllocks.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

I usually attend magic weekend. I've been to Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester, Newcastle and I love the concept. I even went to Edinburgh when our game was against Huddersfield!!

This year however I am giving it a miss and the reason is quite simple. I can't get 2 consecutive weekends off work and it was a straight choice between Barcelona or Magic. Barcelona won and I suspect that a fair few Wigan fans are in a similar boat to me on this one.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:35 am What a load of rubbish from Chalmers. The rfl have moved a concept from a place that supporters looked upon as a week end away and watch loads of rugby with a holiday feeling back drop. to a place that the best supported clubs fans can reach in 40 mins. Taking away this break culture hence the no interest. I will go for Wigan game and that's it where like many others would spend weekend there and watch as many games as I liked. The blame lies solely with the backward thinking of RFL once again shooting our game in the foot Pxllocks.
Spot on. Given the close proximity of many SL teams the crowd numbers should be up significantly. I like others regularly go to the Magic weekend this time I shall watch it on the box with a cuppa in hand. I bet more Wigan fans travel to Barcelona, I’ll be one of them😁
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
doc

Post by doc »

I would have preferred a move back to the Etihad.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:35 am What a load of rubbish from Chalmers. The rfl have moved a concept from a place that supporters looked upon as a week end away and watch loads of rugby with a holiday feeling back drop. to a place that the best supported clubs fans can reach in 40 mins. Taking away this break culture hence the no interest. I will go for Wigan game and that's it where like many others would spend weekend there and watch as many games as I liked. The blame lies solely with the backward thinking of RFL once again shooting our game in the foot Pxllocks.
Spot on. Given the close proximity of many SL teams the crowd numbers should be up significantly. I like others regularly go to the Magic weekend this time I shall watch it on the box with a cuppa in hand. I bet more Wigan fans travel to Barcelona, I’ll be one of them😁
Isn't there a marathon on that weekend?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 am
Isn't there a marathon on that weekend?
Yes Saturday and sunday i think
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I know Bradford had a great win against Leeds yesterday but Chalmers should save his criticism of Super League until the Bulls are in it again.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Don’t forget it’s the super league that are the driving force behind the move from Newcastle,but yes Chalmers does come across as a blow hard he should just concentrate on getting the bulls bills paid on time for say 3 years in a row