Super League chief eyes Anfield return after encouraging Magic Weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League chief eyes Anfield return after encouraging Magic Weekend

Post by josie andrews »

ANFIELD has put itself in pole position to retain Super League's Magic Weekend for 2020, according to chief executive Robert Elstone.

Super League bosses gambled on moving the annual two-day event from Newcastle, which set the crowd record during the four years it was held at St James' Park, to new territory in Liverpool, but Elstone says he was delighted with the outcome.

The aggregate attendance of 56,869 is below the 64,319 that watched the 2018 event in Newcastle but above the record low of 52,043 at Murrayfeld in 2010.

"I'm really pleased with it in many ways," Elstone told Press Association Sport. "Attendances have been good, we've seen some great rugby league and I'm sure the players have been thrilled about running out at Anfield.

"More importantly, I think the fans have had a great time.

"We always felt confident that this stadium was special and I maintain this city has a lot to offer so I'm really hoping fans will reflect positively on Magic."

Organisers were bracing themselves for a sub-50,000 turn-out following sluggish ticket sales but were thrilled by a late rush, led by the two nearest Super League clubs, St Helens and Warrington, who are first and second in the table.

It was terrific in the final few days to see Warrington and St Helens going toe to toe to see who would top the leaderboard," Elstone said.

"We saw the rugby league family click in, groups started to do really well and hospitality hit budget so overall I think it was a last week surge that got us to where we are."

The Magic Weekend has also been held in Cardiff, Manchester and Edinburgh since its launch in 2007 and London has been touted as a potential future venue.

Elstone has also spoken about taking the event overseas following the Super League record crowd of 31,555 for Catalans Dragons' fixture with Wigan in Barcelona nine days ago and officials have not ruled out a return to Newcastle.

But Elstone believes Liverpool has built a strong case for retention and is hoping to make an announcement in good time after the decision to move to Anfield was made only six months ago.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/17 ... c-weekend/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Super League chief eyes Anfield return after encouraging Magic Weekend

Post by fozzieskem »

So it looks like the rumours are true a three year deal for Anfield
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Well RL continues to shoot itself in the foot.

Magic Weekend should be help somewhere within walking distance of a city centre and have the space to host multiple family events outside during the day.

Some might not agree but the ethiad in manchester was brilliant for this reason.

Anfield isnt even in liverpool centre.

Surely we should be having magic in new locations to promote RL away from the heartland. No city will be unhappy with 60k fans boosting the local economy for a weekend and if you can get local councils involved you can attract new people to the sport.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Personally i like Anfield as a venue, crowds could have been better but i think thats a wider issue for rugby league at the moment than the venue for magic. Its close to the heartlands - its not in the centre but its only a 10min bus ride
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Fast forward to 2021 and fans moaning that it's moving from Anfield
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:55 pm Fast forward to 2021 and fans moaning that it's moving from Anfield
No I don’t think so to be honest if they do keep it there as seems likely I fear crowds will be down year on year,people have voted with their feet this year and there’s no compelling reason for keeping it there.

But we shall see
Wigan_forever1985

fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:40 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:55 pm Fast forward to 2021 and fans moaning that it's moving from Anfield
No I don’t think so to be honest if they do keep it there as seems likely I fear crowds will be down year on year,people have voted with their feet this year and there’s no compelling reason for keeping it there.

But we shall see
Genuine question though what specifically about Liverpool do you think put people off or do you think it not just general decline in superleague attendances - i mean is there a team in superleague whose crowds are increasing? if not then is it not general interest in the sport rather than the venue?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:28 pm

But we shall see
Genuine question though what specifically about Liverpool do you think put people off or do you think it not just general decline in superleague attendances - i mean is there a team in superleague whose crowds are increasing? if not then is it not general interest in the sport rather than the venue?
Obviously not answering for Foz but i know 5 people excluding myself who havent attended due to it being liverpool.
Liverpools a pain to get to and back from from atherton/hindley and not far enough away to warrant a hotel for the weekend!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

But we shall see
I think it was a combination of things..

It missed (for me at least)that “day out” feeling you got in Newcastle and the odd time I went to Wembley as a neutral in the CC,The magics success has impacted on the CC attendance in my opinion.

There’s not much to do round by Anfield,yes there’s the park but people I’ve found liked to dip in and out of the day,on Saturday I thought more people stayed in the ground,I think I said in another post it made for a different day,good but Newcastle much better.

Yes I think crowds are down across RL,the loop fixtures are killing the game,Wigan v wire? Hells teeth how many times do we need that match up? It’s tedious,but also the venue sadly played its part in not attracting its too near for the north west heartlands or not far enough for the lot across the penines (it took me an hour via train and soccer bus to get home).

I should be singing it’s praises but I don’t know it felt a little flat ,caught between two stools good but not quite good enough,and the sad thing is there’s very little interest in RL in Liverpool and Little Bobby Elstone should know this from his time at Everton
Wigan_forever1985

fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:51 pm

But we shall see
I think it was a combination of things..

It missed (for me at least)that “day out” feeling you got in Newcastle and the odd time I went to Wembley as a neutral in the CC,The magics success has impacted on the CC attendance in my opinion.

There’s not much to do round by Anfield,yes there’s the park but people I’ve found liked to dip in and out of the day,on Saturday I thought more people stayed in the ground,I think I said in another post it made for a different day,good but Newcastle much better.

Yes I think crowds are down across RL,the loop fixtures are killing the game,Wigan v wire? Hells teeth how many times do we need that match up? It’s tedious,but also the venue sadly played its part in not attracting its too near for the north west heartlands or not far enough for the lot across the penines (it took me an hour via train and soccer bus to get home).

I should be singing it’s praises but I don’t know it felt a little flat ,caught between two stools good but not quite good enough,and the sad thing is there’s very little interest in RL in Liverpool and Little Bobby Elstone should know this from his time at Everton
Some fair points there