Super League chief eyes Anfield return after encouraging Magic Weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
southportcdm

Re: Super League chief eyes Anfield return after encouraging Magic Weekend

Post by southportcdm »

Although it goes without saying that scousers really love their football, they show very little interest in league and I don't think we had many new fans. From an expansionists point of view, going to Anfield was a failure but perhaps Liverpool Council offered more cash than Newcastle? It's interesting that individual clubs and the rugby league itself don't seem to thinks it's worth putting on stalls etc for merchandise at these events. At Barcelona there was at least a limited attempt to attract new fans and sell Catalans merchandise although I'm sure they could have done far more. Where's the desire to expand the interest in our game? If they repeat the exercise next season I'd expect more people to just do one day or part of a day and the total crowd is likely to drop. After a hopeful start I have to admit that I've not been too impressed with Elstone's efforts so far.
nathan_rugby

Re: Super League chief eyes Anfield return after encouraging Magic Weekend

Post by nathan_rugby »

southportcdm wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:25 am Although it goes without saying that scousers really love their football, they show very little interest in league and I don't think we had many new fans. From an expansionists point of view, going to Anfield was a failure but perhaps Liverpool Council offered more cash than Newcastle? It's interesting that individual clubs and the rugby league itself don't seem to thinks it's worth putting on stalls etc for merchandise at these events. At Barcelona there was at least a limited attempt to attract new fans and sell Catalans merchandise although I'm sure they could have done far more. Where's the desire to expand the interest in our game? If they repeat the exercise next season I'd expect more people to just do one day or part of a day and the total crowd is likely to drop. After a hopeful start I have to admit that I've not been too impressed with Elstone's efforts so far.
How many local fans attended Newcastle Magic compared to fans of Rugby League clubs?

Complete naivity from those in charge to think hosting it at Anfield would attract a lot of new fans. How many efforts has there been to increase fan bases outside of the Rugby League hotbeds? They should focus on increasing the crowds in the rugby league areas first for a start before the constant pipe dreams of uncovering thousands of fans in a random area.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."