Kallum Watkins ready to leave Leeds over contract dispute – reports

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Re: Kallum Watkins ready to leave Leeds over contract dispute – reports

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:18 am

This! I don't like it either. How many "fans" have questioned George Williams Marquee status?
If the cap gets increased, marquee rule abolished, Williams still earns the same...
That's not what I said!
I know that’s not what you said. I was just making the point that marquee status is just arbitrary if it was removed the cap was increased.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:16 am

Because youre limited to investing a lot of money into 2 players however if you choose to sign players you have no idea if they are going to be worth said money. Also an injury can wipe out this extra spend. The extra spend cant be spread across the club therefore it cant be good for player morale either to know x player is on loads of money if they arent pulling their weight.

For me raising the cap would of been a better solution than just offering 2 players big contracts
The problem is the salary cap, not the marquee rule...

The problem becomes the marquee rule if clubs invest a large percentage of their money into 1 or 2 marquee players which therefore results in the points you highlighted.
From what has been posted on here, not every club uses the marquee option and of the clubs that do, some only use 1.

Looking at Leeds, Saints and Wire, having marquee players doesn’t seem to have affected the quality of signings they made to their starting 13 and squad.

I therefore respectfully disagree with you.

Out of interest, which clubs/players fit your rationale ?
I see your point and i do agree the cap is the problem but i dont believe the Marquee rule is the fix though. I also agree that williams is on the same wage regardless of the rule but the fact he is classed as a "marquee" player somehow puts a mental separation between him and the rest of the squad that doesnt exist with him just being paid highly
I agree with that post.

I think the marquee rule is a step in the right direction. Does the take up suggest they should abolish and increase the cap or not ?

It would be interesting to know the salary cap spend of each club, the additional salary spend (marquee rule, club trained allowances etc) and how much extra clubs could/would spend if the cap was removed.

I don’t think it would be too different because most clubs wouldn’t be able to afford more.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I’d have Watkins on the right, Gildart on the left
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame