Ex-referee Richard Silverwood blasts “pathetic” Tony Smith

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ex-referee Richard Silverwood blasts “pathetic” Tony Smith

Post by josie andrews »

Former Super League official Richard Silverwood says Tony Smith’s behaviour towards referees is pathetic.

It comes after the new Hull KR head coach criticised the performance of Scott Mikalauskas during Sunday’s game against Wigan Warriors.

Smith was frustrated by the officials’ decision not to award a possible Chris Atkin try, with Rovers eventually falling to a one-point defeat at Craven Park.

Speaking on Twitter, Silverwood, who was a top flight referee for 15 years, condemned Smith’s comments and shared his unfortunate personal dealings with the former Leeds and Warrington boss.

“Shock horror. Tony Smith only back a week and blaming referees,” he said. “I had 10 years of his whinging. Bloke is a weirdo.”

He added: “My comments go much deeper. I made mistakes along the way but Smith made a personal grudge against me. Looked away whenever our paths crossed. Wouldn’t shake hands. That to me is pathetic.”

Phil Wilkinson
@PWilkinsonWIG
· Jun 10, 2019
Replying to @Rod_Studd
Tony Smith cited an Atkin no-try, felt the ref had made a mistake. No mention Atkin kicked out on the full and Wigan scored from that error...

Richard Silverwood

@SilversRef
Shock horror. Tony Smith only back a week and blaming referees. I had 10 years of his whinging. Bloke is a weirdo

8:03 PM - Jun 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

81 people are talking about this

My comments go much deeper. I made mistakes along the way but Smith made a personal grudge against me. Looked away whenever our paths crossed. Wouldnt shake hands. That to me is pathetic

— Richard Silverwood (@SilversRef) June 11, 2019

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/richard- ... ith-20753/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan