Super League clubs "concerned" by Wayne Bennett's remark about NRL star Ryan Sutton

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League clubs "concerned" by Wayne Bennett's remark about NRL star Ryan Sutton

Post by josie andrews »

Super League today hit back at national boss Wayne Bennett over comments he made about ex-Wigan prop Ryan Sutton.

Bennett yesterday said Sutton had "risen to the occasion" at Canberra and added: "If he was still here [in England] we wouldn't have seen the potential he has got. It just challenges them over there because the competition is so hard."

But Super League has issued a press release in which it criticises the suggestion that Sutton's chances of international selection are greater because is playing in the NRL.

It stated "clubs have expressed their concern" at the comments, saying they "appear to be in conflict with one its chief aims - to attract and retain the best players in the Super League competition".

Super League CEO Robert Elstone said: “Securing and retaining the world’s best players is a priority for Super League.

“Quite rightly - and even more so now as we are nearing discussions around a new broadcast deal - it is seen by our clubs as fundamental to the future success of the competition.

“While several of our leading players have excelled in the NRL and, in all likelihood, more will want to test themselves in that environment, it does feel wrong that the coach of our national team is linking a move to the NRL so closely to the award of international honours.

‘’None of us should lose sight of the fact that it is the Super League competition that has developed these players, and that all aspects of the game on this side of the world will benefit by them staying.”

The statement makes reference to the fact Bennett is also coach of South Sydney Rabbitohs. Yesterday, St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus expressed his concern about reports Bennett was using his trip to these shores to prepare for the Lions tour to try and sign Saints prop Luke Thompson.

“My view on it is that if there are any approaches to Luke then it is a complete abuse of power," he told The Mirror. “It’s something that we foresaw when Wayne Bennett was appointed English coach.

“You’re letting the fox into the chicken coop. This is a coach at an NRL club, not just an Australian who is coaching England as his full-time job. The RFL are paying him handsomely to coach our players, not poach our players."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/super- ... -1-9830271
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Super League clubs "concerned" by Wayne Bennett's remark about NRL star Ryan Sutton

Post by medlocke »

Typical Aussie arrogance
widdenoldboy

Re: Super League clubs "concerned" by Wayne Bennett's remark about NRL star Ryan Sutton

Post by widdenoldboy »

And BBC incompetance around League, the picture is not of Sutton :evil: :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It has to be said Sutton looks a different player since his move though
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The truth often hurts and he’s right as far as I am concerned.

The response is laughable. Securing and retaining the worlds best players is a priority for SL? I am sure it is but I’ll have some of whatever Elstone is on if he thinks there’s currently much chance of it doing that.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:The truth often hurts and he’s right as far as I am concerned.

The response is laughable. Securing and retaining the worlds best players is a priority for SL? I am sure it is but I’ll have some of whatever Elstone is on if he thinks there’s currently much chance of it doing that.
Yeah but he has to talk us up because the one way we can retain players is with an improved tv deal. He at least has to say the right things right now even though it all hinges on a later deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
BriH

Re: Super League clubs

Post by BriH »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 am The truth often hurts and he’s right as far as I am concerned.

My thoughts exactly. So WB get's criticised for saying the obvious! I think it's a case of "misquoted" and "heads in the sand" from Elstone (and McManus). Worried that the NRL will pinch our best players? Look at the salary cap and get real!!!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

BriH wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am
DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 am The truth often hurts and he’s right as far as I am concerned.

My thoughts exactly. So WB get's criticised for saying the obvious! I think it's a case of "misquoted" and "heads in the sand" from Elstone (and McManus). Worried that the NRL will pinch our best players? Look at the salary cap and get real!!!
Agreed, the truth hurts.

We are already facing a losing battle against the Aussies due to the way of life, weather and beauty of their country. When you add the fact the competition is greater, the salaries are higher and its more or less the National Sport out there, its rather obvious we are going to lose players and not attract similar ones back.

This should be a wake up call for Elstone and the rest of the RFL because the trend is sadly that the standard is deteriorating and more of our players are leaving.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

BriH wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am

All of the gang of 12 chairman are to blame for keeping the cap nice and low,let’s be fair the split has happened the SL is its own entity now and free to do what they please without the shackles of the RFL,of course when it suits them,the cap could go up tomorrow if they so wanted.

The player pool gets ever smaller here of top class talent,the muffins all cry “it’s great for the sport”when yet another talent is torn away from here “for the challenge”(and the bloody great pay raise that comes with it),it’s time for the muffin tops that watch our sport to start kicking a fuss up at yet another top talent goes down under,while they send their dog botherers and trouble makers and never good enough a here
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:38 am
DaveO wrote:The truth often hurts and he’s right as far as I am concerned.

Yeah but he has to talk us up because the one way we can retain players is with an improved tv deal. He at least has to say the right things right now even though it all hinges on a later deal.
He's not fooling anyone though is he? Including Sky or any other potential TV sponsors.

It's catch 22. To warrant a better TV deal the sport needs to be more attractive. It won't get more mattractive just because Elstone talks it up. It must actually happen which means at least keeping our best players now and that is the problem, Elsone and the chairmen do not seem to have any idea of how to do this.

They have not put the salary cap up probably because the clubs can't afford it but if they can't afford to pay more, forget retaining the best players.

As discussed on the salary cap thread there are other ways such as allowing the players to sell their image rights without it counting on the cap but this seemingly simple change has not happened. Makes you wonder why. Has it been considered? Do enough clubs not want it because they think they have no star players? Who knows.

I think you are absolutely right Elstone is thinking about the next TV deal. I am convinced IL is as well but if they want a better deal they need to do something to make the game warrant it.