When was the last time you genuinely couldn't wait for a Rugby League game?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.

Poll ended at Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:13 am

Last few rounds
29%
One or Two this season
21%
Last Season
21%
Years ago
29%

Total votes: 14

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Curiosity as state of the league is discussed, when was the last time you genuinely looked forward to a game because of the game (ie not because it was magic weekend and its always a laugh, or you had hospitality etc).

Doesn't have to be a Wigan game either - any game.

Im thinking back to when i genuinely couldn't wait for an upcoming fixture, even the Wigan vs Saints matches don't exactly having me wishing the week away like in the past. Big games that you genuinely couldn't wait to see like Leeds vs Bradford in the day etc
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Re: When was the last time you genuinely couldn't wait for a Rugby League game?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Last Friday.
I hadn't been to an away game for a while and had sorted things to go to Huddersfield.
Went to the game and really enjoyed. Although I arrived just after kick off due to traffic it still didn't spoil my enjoyment of the game.
Also looking forward to this Friday v Salford.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Barcelona, then Leeds away .

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Probably the Grand Final last year,the momentum that Wigan had built up it was interesting to see if they could get over the line,shame it wasn’t Saints that day as Warrington looked a busted flush before the game started.

This season no game at all,time yet had a bit of a break from the game and of course the stupidity of the exile from the DW so hopefully come Friday I’ll be feeling it,just a shame that yet again it’s Salford..how many times do Wigan have to play them this season.

Actually I’m going to add this,the London Hull KR game was brilliant,had it all thills,spills and a bit of bellyache,finally a game worth watching this season,London deserves the win
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The exile from the DW and what seems to be an upturn in form has me looking forward to Friday. Looking forward to seeing Hankinson at centre, so Lam will probably drop him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Yeah, looking forward to Friday, it's like the start of a new season after so long, and the upturn in form, as Dave mentions.

I think there should be a petition made to the Club to prevent this happening again in 2020, with the fans feelings made known to IL. I'm getting fed up with this, every year it happens. Surely these days, there should be a pitch maintenance method that allows less disruption to the fixtures ?

And fans get out of the habit of attending games with so long an absence. Also, we're not allowed to play pre season friendlies at home whilst this restriction doesn't apply to the football ?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 pm Yeah, looking forward to Friday, it's like the start of a new season after so long, and the upturn in form, as Dave mentions.

I think there should be a petition made to the Club to prevent this happening again in 2020, with the fans feelings made known to IL. I'm getting fed up with this, every year it happens. Surely these days, there should be a pitch maintenance method that allows less disruption to the fixtures ?

And fans get out of the habit of attending games with so long an absence. Also, we're not allowed to play pre season friendlies at home whilst this restriction doesn't apply to the football ?
I have to agree, the wife and I went to the cinema today and as we turned into the car park it dawned on us other than going to catch the coach for away games its been the thick end of two months since we last went to the DW,as you say people get out of the habit of going to the game.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I like the away games better TBH. But there's the same number whenever they are played. The pitch looked great before the break this year. Haven't they fixed the underlying problem?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The "football" ground maintenance had to kill off the grass again this year to seed fresh grass, the artificial grass was left alone. If I remember correctly, but don't take that as being right 😳 🤔, think I heard next year it will all be ripped up & everything completely relayed!

Your correct about people getting out of the habit of going Nezza!

It's different when you're away from home for 8 weeks, last home fixture was v London Broncos 2nd May, in the middle of the season compared to the winter off season & we are 'looking forward' to the start of the new one.

Medlocke is right when he says summer rugby is killing the game, people find so much more to do in the 'better' weather of 'summer rugby' than going to a game! Although I do prefer it now I'm old, to shivering & freezing especially in seated stadiums!

This is when I wished we had our own purpose built stadium (& not one with a running track round it!)
I want to be closer to the game than struggling to see what's going on! Warrington, Saints, Leigh & Salford are ideal grounds for our game IMO. Two seated stands & two standing terraces 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I agree a return to winter would be good. Won’t happen with more,than just us sharing with football teams.

That two month gap is really detrimental to our club. The habit of going Is easily broken but I think it’s more than that. It kind of distances the fans from the club. Nothing is happening in Wigan.

I don’t think Hudds and Hull have the same problem of having to vacate for two months do they?

Even if technically it’s the right time of year to do the pitch maintenance it just reinforces the impression we are second class citizens.