Great Britain name Danny Ward and Ian Watson as assistant coaches

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Great Britain name Danny Ward and Ian Watson as assistant coaches

Post by josie andrews »

Wayne Bennett has appointed Danny Ward and Ian Watson as Great Britain assistants ahead of the team's return to international action this year.

The Lions are being reformed, and will tour New Zealand and Papua New Guinea at the end of the season.

Veteran Australian coach Bennett, who succeeded Steve McNamara as England boss in 2016, was in England last week and undertook interviews for the positions made vacant by James Lowes' departure to rugby union and Paul Wellens' request for time off.

And Bennett has opted for London boss Ward and Salford coach Watson as his lieutenants.

Ward, who has earned plaudits for taking London Broncos into Super League and making a good case to stay there this season, is a former GB international, winning a cap against New Zealand 15 years ago.

"It was an incredible honour to represent Great Britain as a player, and I'm absolutely buzzing to be a part of the plans for this year," Ward said.

Salford head coach Watson was capped 30 times by Wales as a player.

"I was honoured to play so many times for Wales, and I'm delighted that the Great Britain team has been reformed, so it's a privilege to have this chance to be involved on the tour," Watson said.

There is a great history of Wales players and coaches being involved with the rugby league Lions, and I'll also be representing Salford who have given me such a great opportunity in coaching."

The Lions tour begins with a clash against Tonga in Hamilton on October 26 before two Tests against New Zealand and a final fixture with Papua New Guinea.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... nt-coaches
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Great Britain name Danny Ward and Ian Watson as assistant coaches

Post by fozzieskem »

Good for both of them,Watson in particular is and has the makings of a fine coach so he deserves his chance without doubt.

As for Danny ward he should be given the freedom of Ealing if he keeps London up (and I really hope he does)
Mickw

Re: Great Britain name Danny Ward and Ian Watson as assistant coaches

Post by Mickw »

They've both earned it ,well done to the pair of em.