Goal kicking

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater

Goal kicking

Post by morley pie eater »

Figures (%) per club for league games so far this season (20 games):

WAR. 85.5
HKR. 84.4
HUL. 78.6
WFD. 78.1
HUD. 76.7
LON. 74.3
CAT. 73.8
WIG. 73.3
CAS. 71.9
SAL. 70.4
STS. 70.2
LDS. 69.0

The average is 75.2%
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Re: Goal kicking

Post by DaveO »

Ties in with what people have said that we may have well have won more games had we had better kicking earlier in the season.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I agree davo so why is hank on bench tonight??? Best kicker we have and last few weeks debatably the best right centre with gilly on the left
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

How many games this year have we lost that could have been won with a goal kick or two?

I know the stats can only show missed kicks from tries and not missed penalties or penalties we never took, but would be interesting to know.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:11 am How many games this year have we lost that could have been won with a goal kick or two?

I know the stats can only show missed kicks from tries and not missed penalties or penalties we never took, but would be interesting to know.
off top of my head nathan i think hull at home and cas away but could be wrong
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:11 am How many games this year have we lost that could have been won with a goal kick or two?

The stats incude all attempted goal kicks. They don't distinguish between conversions and penalties.

However, they show (before the HKR game), that we scored 63 goals with 23 misses = 86 attempts. In those games we scored 74 tries. That equates to 12 attempts at goal from penalties.

I'd guess that most of the missed goals were from touchline conversion attempts? So the success rate from pens would be higher than from conversions. This would be true for the vast majority of teams - you don't normally choose to kick at goal from a pen unless it's kickable.

We conceded 149 penalties, about average. Assuming we were awarded a similar number, we only kick at goal from about 8% of penalties awarded.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐