Tony Smith issues warning over Hull KR recruitment as he hits out at Super League structure

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Tony Smith issues warning over Hull KR recruitment as he hits out at Super League structure

Post by DaveO »

Smith makes a good point.

What amazes me is that given SL is a full time professional league is that relegation can result in players contracts being cancelled or them having to take a big pay cut or go part time.

It’s a short career as it is and is for me one that does not pay well for most players for the commitment it demands of not establishing yourself in another career.

So I am not surprised Smith argues the prospect of relegation hinders recruitment. I am sure it does and as he says not just the the obvious relegation candidate team but for others in the mix because it’s obvious they will be in that state again the season after.

I have long argued relegation out of SL is not just sporting disaster but it’s far more serious as it is a financial one as well. Smith mentioned it affecting sponsorship and I am sure he’s right.

The licensing system just wasn’t given long enough and I’d welcome its return and the league increasing in size to do away with loop fixtures. Sure you’d have some potential cricket scores if you promoted a couple of the championship sides but if they are well run clubs they would be able to build and recruit on a sound footing and improve.

There are some well run outfits outside of SL. I think some like Halifax even run a reserve team unlike certain SL sides so I think it would not take long if you promoted the right teams based on various criteria for them to establish themselves.