What we’ve learned about each club’s 2020 recruitment following overseas quota list reveal

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Re: What we’ve learned about each club’s 2020 recruitment following overseas quota list reveal

Post by Firestarter »

Ide be very happy with the above if true
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Re: What we’ve learned about each club’s 2020 recruitment following overseas quota list reveal

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:We have recruited Clark from Cas, Hastings from Salford and massive rumours Bevan French has signed from the Eels. There are also suggestions that Ben Matolino and Elijah Taylor have signed. So that's a back, half back, two props and a loose. Whether they have all signed remains to be seen but we should know soon as the club surely would announce next years signings before next year's season tickets go on sale with the auto renewal.

Signing direct from the NRL can't be easy. Their better players are on massive salaries and to bring one over would take a massive amount out of our far less salary cap. If all true then we've signed three for 2020 direct from the NRL.
Other teams seem to manage signings from the NRL as evidenced by the number of players they have in their squads as outlined in the original post.

The charge levelled at the club by me and others is we only seem to know these players exist after they have been signed by other SL clubs such as Clarke and Hastings.

Clarke couldn’t even get into the Cas side before he seemingly got frozen out after he signed for us so that is a totally uninspiring signing.

The Bevan French one is weird. It’s a rumour that won’t go away despite Phil Wilkinson saying the club have denied it having asked them directly. The discussion about him here and on RLFans is as if he’s nailed on and I am not sure why that is. Wishful thinking by the fans? I’d be pleased if he signed otherwise the only other half back worth the name we have next year is Tommy and he’s another year older.

If we have signed the other two then hopefully that is a step in the right direction but at the moment it’s Clarke, Hastings and Bibby who are our signings and two out of that three are at the level of squad players.