History made: Belinda Sharpe to become first female to referee an NRL game

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

History made: Belinda Sharpe to become first female to referee an NRL game

Post by josie andrews »

Belinda Sharpe will create history on Thursday night when she becomes the first female to referee an NRL game when Brisbane Broncos host Cantebrury Bulldogs.

Sharpe has become a regular feature on the touchline at NRL games but has also refereed Intrust Super Cup matches since 2015. She was then promoted to a full-time referee contract in May this year.

“At that stage I was just focused on coming down to Sydney and joining the full-time squad and getting my feet into that environment,” she told NRL.com.

“That was the first and foremost thing for me. Certainly it’s been a whirlwind couple of months for me, and that appointment was a stepping stone to this Thursday for sure.

“I just loved rugby league growing up and I played touch football, ended up refereeing touch footy and made the transition from there.

“The game has been my passion and now I’ve turned that into a full-time career.”

https://www.totalrl.com/belinda-sharpe- ... l-referee/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: History made: Belinda Sharpe to become first female to referee an NRL game

Post by BriH »

Hope she does well! Can't see why not, and after her first game she said the players were very supportive.
Good on her!!