Hock announces retirement

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hock announces retirement

Post by josie andrews »

Gareth Hock has announced his retirement from Rugby League with immediate effect.

The former England international most recently signed for Leigh, following an injury-disrupted spell with Barrow earlier this year.

He started his career with Wigan and also enjoyed spells with Widnes, Salford and Featherstone.

Hock announced the decision in a Tweet this evening, citing issues following shoulder surgery as a major factor.

“It’s been a hard and emotional couple of weeks, especially today, telling the team, staff and my family that I’m retiring from Rugby League.

“I’ve trained and worked my arse off to get back after my shoulder operation but, six games in, my body’s just saying ‘no’ and it’s not letting me do what I want it to and how I want to play.

“I’d rather retire now before I do more damage to my body and stop over-thinking, saying to myself I can keep doing it.

“I’ve had my ups and downs, with more ups, and achieved everything I wanted to in rugby.

“It’s been my life from seven years of age and it’s scary, but you know when it’s time, so once again thanks to everyone I’ve met and played with over years – what a journey.”

http://www.rlnews.co.uk/hock-announces-retirement/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Hock announces retirement

Post by josie andrews »

Good Luck Gareth in your retirement 😊🏉
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Good player.

If he had a little bit more between the ears he could have been a truly great player.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Good luck to him in his retirement from the game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Former Wigan Warriors star Gareth Hock makes "scary" decision to retire from rugby league

He tormented Australia and starred for hometown club Wigan, and now Gareth Hock has called time on his long playing career.

The 35-year-old confirmed his decision on social media last night, saying he has been unable to fully recover from a shoulder operation.

"My body's just saying 'no' and it's not letting me do what I want it to do and how I want to play," he tweeted. "It's been a hard, emotional couple of weeks, especially today telling the team, staff and my family that I'm retiring from rugby league."

He added: "I've had my ups and downs, more ups, and achieved everything I want to in rugby. It's scary, but you know when it's time."

He thanked everyone he has met and played alongside over the years.

Hock had most recently been playing for Leigh and has also played for Featherstone, Widnes and Salford, but it was his time at Wigan that he will be most fondly remembered by many.

A former academy international, he burst onto the scene in 2003 and went on to establish himself as one of the most potent back-rowers in Super League.

Hock played the game on the edge and in 2006 he was called-up for Great Britain's Tri-Nations tour Down Under, where he was outstanding in the 23-12 victory over Australia in Sydney - the last time GB, or England, beat the Green and Gold.

A former Super League Young Player of the Year, he spent two years out of the game because of a ban for taking cocaine but came back strong, and had arguably his best season in 2012, when Shaun Wane succeeded Michael Maguire.

He back-flipped on a move to Parramatta and was kicked out of England's World Cup squad in 2013, but for all the controversy, he remained a fans' favourite for his confrontational and aggressive style.

Players past and present were quick to pay tribute to him on Twitter.

"Congrats on a top career Gaz," wrote Toronto's Ashton Sims. "Every time you've had a setback you've come back stronger, which is a testament to your grit and perseverance."

Warriors centre Oliver Gildart posted: "All the best in your next move, Gaz."

"Top, top player," wrote former GB team-mate Leon Pryce. Richie Mathers wrote: "Rest up big man, you've done it all with nothing to prove anymore."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/former ... -1-9881487
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Good luck to the lad . people on here know what I thought of him Top player top lad heart of a lion and gold. And one of the most regarded players by the lads he played with and friends.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm Good luck to the lad . people on here know what I thought of him Top player top lad heart of a lion and gold. And one of the most regarded players by the lads he played with and friends.

Exactly this 😊
southportcdm

We tried to sign Hock!

Post by southportcdm »

Although I'm sad to see that Gareth has had to retire due to injury, I can't believe that KR has admitted that we tried to sign him for this season. What were we thinking? Very worrying transfer policy at the club at present.
Firestarter

Re: We tried to sign Hock!

Post by Firestarter »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm Although I'm sad to see that Gareth has had to retire due to injury, I can't believe that KR has admitted that we tried to sign him for this season. What were we thinking? Very worrying transfer policy at the club at present.
even more worrying is we tried and failed........ somebody did post that we was trying to sign him and got blasted on here
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Re: We tried to sign Hock!

Post by nathan_rugby »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm Although I'm sad to see that Gareth has had to retire due to injury, I can't believe that KR has admitted that we tried to sign him for this season. What were we thinking? Very worrying transfer policy at the club at present.
Its bonkers, KR and IL must be completely deluded.

Not like he's the type of player who would be worth a short and cheap contract to bring that Wigan culture/Wigan way back and be a good example to the youngsters.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."