Hock announces retirement

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Re: Hock announces retirement

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm I don't give a toss what you think of Rads comments, it was a gesture for Gareth to play his final season where it all started for him.

You've all got plenty to say about him, but how many of you really know the lad?
His recent form and injury record did not warrant this nice gesture though, that is the point.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm I don't give a toss what you think of Rads comments, it was a gesture for Gareth to play his final season where it all started for him.

You've all got plenty to say about him, but how many of you really know the lad?
His recent form and injury record did not warrant this nice gesture though, that is the point.
Neither did his drugs ban or the way he behaved towards the club and fans after the drugs ban
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am

Neither did his drugs ban or the way he behaved towards the club and fans after the drugs ban
Please enlighten me about this so called behaviour?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I think it's helpful to segregate our assessment of Gareth.

1. On the pitch
2. Off the pitch

Off the pitch I know little, if anything about his personal life, so can't comment.

On the pitch he was extremely talented, but, imo failed to make the most of this talent, which was a real shame.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

thegimble wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 pm

I live in Gwynedd and i have been told he is one of the nicest person you could meet. And that has come to me first hand by someone i know knows him.
I have also been told he is a good lad but that does not hide the fact he has wasted his best years and let the Wigan club and its fans down.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:02 am I think it's helpful to segregate our assessment of Gareth.

1. On the pitch
2. Off the pitch

Off the pitch I know little, if anything about his personal life, so can't comment.

On the pitch he was extremely talented, but, imo failed to make the most of this talent, which was a real shame.
His talent was undoubted and I agree he failed to take himself up to the world class and unplayable level.

How many years was he very very good at Wigan? Consistently that is.

The difference between the good players with potential and the world class players, in any sport, is consistency. Using Football for example, the reason Messi and Ronald are considered the best ever is because they have been consistent almost game in game out for 10 years plus.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I knew Gaz as a friend and i can tell you off the field he was a great lad and generous to a fault , he was in private life nothing like the fierce player we used to cheer on.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Still doesn't mean the club owed him some sort of "swansong" or place in the team either though
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 pm Still doesn't mean the club owed him some sort of "swansong" or place in the team either though
Did he get it?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

thegimble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 pm Still doesn't mean the club owed him some sort of "swansong" or place in the team either though
Did he get it?
No, but we are debating the “gesture” the club made. Wasn’t super league standard and definitely wasn’t standard to be 5th choice prop at Wigan at the time the offer was made.