George Burgess tight-lipped on Wigan Warriors link

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

George Burgess tight-lipped on Wigan Warriors link

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan are thought to have won the race to sign George Burgess.

The England prop, 27, has reportedly signed a three-year deal to move to the Warriors.

Danny Weidler

@Danny_Weidler
I’ve been told George Burgess has done a three year deal with Wigan - just approached him for a comment at Souths training but he said he didn’t want to talk about it. @9NewsSyd 2:55 AM - Jul 25, 2019
It would represent a huge coup for Wigan and Super League.

Burgess was approached for a comment after training at Souths today, but TV reporter Danny Weidler tweeted to say he "didn't want to talk about it".

He is out of contract with Souths and had already been told he would not be offered a new deal due to their salary cap constraints.

Adrian Lam told Wigantoday.net yesterday the club had made contact with Burgess' agent and he wanted him on board for 2020.

Wigan are also thought to be hot on the heels of exciting utility back Bevan French after he fell out of favour at Parramatta.

They have already recruited Jackson Hastings, Mitch Clark and Jake Bibby for next year.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/george ... -1-9897446
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: George Burgess tight-lipped on Wigan Warriors link

Post by BriH »

How are we going to fit in all these alleged players into the salary cap?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Rumours persist Bri of Hardaker back to Leeds plus the exits of Tautai and Hamlin will release some SC, plus the as yet undecided futures of Leuluai and SOL ?
I'd be happy to see Lockers just revert to a coaching role and fit in Greenwood/Smithies to work the 13 position although not sure how much Cap that particular move would release ? Think we should allow TL to have one more year, as a major priority to bring on Smith.
Also are we going to keep 4 wingers as this would create more space and as a Marquee not all Burgess' salary would count.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I imagine sarge has freed up cap space but we must be losing some more (what happened to the gildart leaving as well rumour?)

Maybe IL is listening to the fans (like he actually does) and is throwing some money about. Be interesting to see if true if fans come back or if as i presume they just want to moan and make excuses for not turning up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm Rumours persist Bri of Hardaker back to Leeds plus the exits of Tautai and Hamlin will release some SC, plus the as yet undecided futures of Leuluai and SOL ?
I'd be happy to see Lockers just revert to a coaching role and fit in Greenwood/Smithies to work the 13 position although not sure how much Cap that particular move would release ? Think we should allow TL to have one more year, as a major priority to bring on Smith.
Also are we going to keep 4 wingers as this would create more space and as a Marquee not all Burgess' salary would count.
What point are you trying to make ok Burgess ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:26 pm I imagine sarge has freed up cap space but we must be losing some more (what happened to the gildart leaving as well rumour?)

Maybe IL is listening to the fans (like he actually does) and is throwing some money about. Be interesting to see if true if fans come back or if as i presume they just want to moan and make excuses for not turning up.
Gildart will go the following year
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:48 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm Rumours persist Bri of Hardaker back to Leeds plus the exits of Tautai and Hamlin will release some SC, plus the as yet undecided futures of Leuluai and SOL ?
What point are you trying to make ok Burgess ?
Exploring the Cap monies released by those players already departed and the speculation on others who are who may go next season, in order to free up cash for Burgess.
And if he did sign, not sure on the Marquee rules re SC and how much can be offset ?
Sorry Nathan if I didn't make those points clear.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think we might have freed up money if:
Sarg, Escare, Tautai and Hamlin, releasing the various junior players and any money saved from eg reducing what we pay Leuluai, Lockers and/or Clubb saves us more than French, Clark, Bibby and the upgrades for Smithies and oli, plus £175k, being that part of Burgess’ salary that counts. That seems possible to me. We are playing with only 1 marquee player this year, and so if, say, Sarg was on 100k, then we would need only to find 75k for a like for like swap in salary cap terms.

Williams for Hastings would be like for like regardless of what we actually pay them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

As a Marquee Player and club trained isn't George's salary cap worth £75k?
Hastings isn't club trained so will be £175k.
That's how I understand the Marquee Player and salary cap worth to be.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Ah - I hadn’t appreciated that, so we would need to free up 100k from somewhere... could Burgess, Clubb, Leuluai and Lockers accept pay cuts???