Toronto withdraw TV broadcasts to “reduce costs”

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Toronto withdraw TV broadcasts to “reduce costs”

Post by josie andrews »

Championship leaders Toronto say they have pulled their final two league fixtures from TV coverage to cut costs.

The Wolfpack released a statement yesterday explaining that they have invested a substantial amount to have their games covered on TV across the world in 2019.

As a result the production company that film all the Canadian outfits home matches will not be present for the games against York and Leigh.

Toronto’s two other remaining home matches against Rochdale and Barrow will also be absent from TV coverage due to clashes with Catalans games on Sky Sports.

The statement released on the club’s website reads: “Toronto Wolfpack have taken the decision to stand down our broadcast and production for the scheduled games at Lamport Stadium against York City Knights (August 10th) and Leigh Centurions (September 7th).

“The Wolfpack have invested a significant amount of money in covering all costs for the production to date in 2019. This decision has been made to reduce costs in the lead up to our much anticipated Betfred Championship playoff campaign.

“With all regular season games outside of Toronto now complete, fans in Canada have been able to watch 15 of the 17 games taking place outside Canada this season live on both Game TV and CBC Sports (online).

“In all 20 out of 23 games have been available live on Sky Sports in the UK, as well as being delivered into 150 million homes worldwide thanks to the Wolfpack’s valued global broadcast partnerships. This commitment signifies that the Wolfpack are the most viewed team in UK Rugby League this year.

“Toronto Wolfpack look forward to returning to our largest ever global television audiences in September, when the Betfred Championship playoffs get underway.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/toronto- ... sts-21599/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
old hooker

Re: Toronto withdraw TV broadcasts to “reduce costs”

Post by old hooker »

I thought money was no object for Toronto?,lets see how long they last.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

old hooker wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:21 pm I thought money was no object for Toronto?,lets see how long they last.
I wonder?

Ever since the spat with the Swinton lad Argyle seems to have pulled himself back and out of the limelight I wonder if his chequebook has retreated along with him?

I think SL and the Rfl should proceed with great caution.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

old hooker wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:21 pm I thought money was no object for Toronto?,lets see how long they last.
They didn't pay their players at the start of this season, and their backer is off to Ottowa to setup a new team. Odd goings on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 pm
They didn't pay their players at the start of this season, and their backer is off to Ottowa to setup a new team. Odd goings on.
I’m sure heard London Skolars are still waiting for the money that Argyle used to buy shares in the club,as I say caution is needed