Raiders proved non-believers wrong with Storm win: Stuart

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Raiders proved non-believers wrong with Storm win: Stuart

Post by josie andrews »

The Canberra Raiders know they are good enough to give the premiership a shake this season and veteran coach Ricky Stuart thinks their thrilling comeback victory over the Melbourne Storm on Saturday night will convince a lot of the non-believers.

Canberra trailed the league-leaders 18-0 shortly before half-time at AAMI Park but then scored 22 unanswered points to record one of their best wins in recent history.

The triumph helps the Raiders maintain their place inside the top four and Stuart believes his players are starting to build the belief that they can go all the way this season.

"There is no worries about belief as we know we are good enough," Stuart said after the 22-18 victory.

"Sometimes it is just unfortunate scenarios and passages of play that make it more difficult for yourself.

"They showed a lot out there that a lot of our non-believers think we haven't got."

The Raiders had two players sent to the sin bin during an indifferent start to the match, with Jack Wighton and Joe Tapine both given their marching orders as the Storm opened up an early 18-0 advantage.

A try before half-time from Jarrod Croker helped the Raiders work their way back into the contest and Stuart praised the ability of his side to stay within striking distance as the teams entered the sheds.

"We didn't get many bounces of the ball at all tonight and I was happy with how they hung in there," he said.

"Over the years they have got frustrated, they have got impatient and that has been my biggest bug bear in terms of calming their mentality.

While Croker will win many of the plaudits for his try-scoring double, it was veteran big man Josh Papalii that clinched the remarkable comeback with the match-winning try in the 75th minute.

Papalii's four-pointer came about following a trademark one-on-one strip from hooker Josh Hodgson and Stuart praised his side's composure during the closing stages.

"We had to regroup at half-time and find a bit of composure," Stuart said.

"We are a very good attacking team and very instinctive. We are unpredictable and sometimes that has got us in trouble.

"Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot with our unpredictability.

"It has probably helped us this year as we have probably tried to find a little bit more composure with our play more so than always trying to score.

"Outside our defence that is probably one of our biggest strengths."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/17/rai ... in-stuart/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Raiders proved non-believers wrong with Storm win: Stuart

Post by moto748 »

Spoilers!

Just settling down to watch that! :evil:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:02 pm Spoilers!

Just settling down to watch that! :evil:
Sorry 😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Great win 18 nil down and two sin binnings
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Was an amazing performance from the Raiders. Been following them closely this season since Bateman and Sutton went there, and they're a great side to watch.

Doing what they did to Melbourne in that match was pretty impressive and they're certainly in the mix for the end of the season.

Bateman is impressing a lot of NRL fans, pundits and players.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ive been supporting canberra( along with parra) this season....... obviously due to the english lads...... ide love nothing better than them winning the final....... unfortunately i think they are just missing something in the halves that the other contenders seem to have....... hope im wrong
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think you are wrong. I reckon their halves are fairly ordinary compared to plenty of NRL sides, but they get away with it because Hodgson creates so much for them. And their pack and outside backs are a match for any, as they showed against the Storm.