JONES JOINS RED DEVILS

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

JONES JOINS RED DEVILS

Post by josie andrews »

Salford Red Devils were pleased to unveil their new signing Connor Jones to supporters at half-time during Friday’s match against Hull Kingston Rovers.

The Australian Hooker, who can also operate at halfback, helped Betfred Championship side Featherstone Rovers reach the next stage of their play-off campaign, with an impressive display against Leigh Centurions last night.

Jones: “I can’t wait. It’s been my goal to play in Super League and I’m so excited to achieve that.

“This is club on the rise, with a great history, so this is a great opportunity for me.

“There’s competition for places in the squad, but I think that’s really healthy and will help us push ourselves. I’m looking forward to getting stuck in.

“Now though, I’m focused on finishing the season on a high with Featherstone.

“They’ve been really helpful in helping me make the transition over to the UK and that will I’m sure that will make it easier for me at Salford next season.”

The 23-year-old, who was announced alongside his Rovers teammate Jack Ormondroyd, will challenge Joey Lussick and Chris Atkin for a place at hooker throughout the 2020 campaign.

Salford Red Devils head coach Ian Watson said: “Connor’s a young, exciting player, who can play nine and seven.

“He’s come through the grades in Australia and was attracting a lot of interest, so I’m happy he has chosen Salford for his next move.

“I’ve watched Connor numerous times this year and while in Australia. He’s is a major threat from dummy-half, always looking to create opportunities for his team with his speed and smarts around the ruck.

“His attitude in defence is impressive, and he also offers a smart kicking game, so I know he’ll be a great addition to our squad and that he’s looking forward to challenging Joey (Lussick) for the number nine position.”

Jones joined Featherstone from Intrust Super Cup Northern Pride, midway through the current season.

Director of rugby and operations Ian Blease, said: “Anyone who watched the play-off game between Featherstone and Leigh, will have seen what Connor is about.

“He’s a committed player, whose versatility and tough defence will add a lot to the squad.

“There are parts of his game which he can still develop further and I’m sure Coach Watson will get the best out of him.”

To purchase 2020 Season Tickets and see Jones in action throughout the campaign, click HERE, visit the AJ Bell Stadium Ticket Office, or phone on 0161 786 1570.

https://www.salfordreddevils.net/jones- ... ed-devils/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan