Super League chief Robert Elstone on future of Thursday night fixtures... and late changes for TV

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League chief Robert Elstone on future of Thursday night fixtures... and late changes for TV

Post by josie andrews »

Super League chief executive Robert Elstone believes late-fixture switches to accommodate Sky Sports may be avoided next year.

Wigan's most recent match, against Castleford, was brought forward a day to Thursday night - with less than a week's notice, which Elstone branded not "good enough".

Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan later revealed the decision cost his club around £50,000.

Sky Sports were entitled to pick the recent Wigan game at short notice as part of the current broadcast deal which sees them pay Super League around £40m a year, of which clubs receive £2m. And this year, without the Super-8s structure, more televised games - including Thursday night slots - were mapped out with longer notice.

But Elstone says talks are taking place with the broadcasters to limit disruption.

"In terms of late changes, it's dialogue we're having with Sky," he said. "I think what we've realised for 2020, we need to be scheduling the final round for the same time so there isn't one game subject to a late change at four or five days' notice, which I don't think is good enough.

"We need to keep working with Sky to make sure the disruption to fans is as little as possible."

But he suggested Thursday night games were here to stay.

Thursday nights continue to be an issue but Thursday nights work for Sky, and the reality is they're our most important partner," he told a media-briefing at Old Trafford.

"If we're delivering for them on Thursday, if fans like to watch Thursday night rugby in front of TV sets or in the pub, then I think we need to accept we need to be delivering for Sky. We need to be positive about Thursdays.

"That's not me in any way dismissing it and the challenge of travelling on a Thursday night (for away fans)."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/super- ... 1-10001422
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AndyNick

Re: Super League chief Robert Elstone on future of Thursday night fixtures... and late changes for TV

Post by AndyNick »

So basically,

"Stop moaning about Thursday's because Sky won't let us scrap them"

"We hear you and we know it's rubbish but as long as Sky have nothing else to fill the slot on a Thursday we're going to prioritise their needs over those of the fans"

Without the fans. there is no game. End of. Attendances have dropped from 16k to 12k. A few years back 12k was considered a low attendance, the sort of gate we get for Catalans or London when the away end isn't open an there are literally a handful of away fans. That's now the average and those games are doing less than 10k.

You are killing the game because you are not listening to the fans. If you don't start listening there will be no game for Sky to broadcast at all. Scrap Thursday's, sort out the Structure (If we play Wire in the playoffs, that will be the 5th time we've played them this year, This Friday will be our 4th game against Salford) and make the game worth coming to again.
morley pie eater

Re: Super League chief Robert Elstone on future of Thursday night fixtures... and late changes for TV

Post by morley pie eater »

For me, the jury is still out on Elstone . . . but I can see his point here.

The fans may be the most important factor, but without Sky's £40m a year there'd be no game for us to watch. Clearly Thursdays are hugely important to Sky. So the balanced answer is to share out Thursday games fairly, and avoid short notice changes.

If Elstone can achieve that we'll have the best real life option, imo.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Without Sky there’s no sport,yes it’s bloody annoying the late changes but if we want the sport to continue then we have to put up with it,but I get there feeling sky are getting ready to pull out of the sport...we shall see.

As for Bobby Elstone he touched lucky with this wonderful weird season,but crassly claiming credit for the grand day out to Barcelona didn’t sit well with me,that as we all know was down to Bernard the butcher being buds with the Barca chairman and the stupidity of moving the madic to Anfield.

The split in the sport is clearly creating a lot of doubling up and some of it is messy,the salary cap could be lifted now,the Rfl have no say in the running of the clubs so why not?

All part of ponderables in life I think the sport needs one governing body not two but we shall,again long term if it’s sustanable
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

The thing is, people only find Thursday night matches annoying when it's their team playing (myself included). I do enjoy watching other teams playing on Sky on Thursdays. Got a take the rough with the smooth.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

How do we create the next generation of supporters when Thursday nights aren’t suitable for kids due to school the next day?

It doesn’t bother me one bit but I do feel for those with kids & who have to work the next day 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:20 pm How do we create the next generation of supporters when Thursday nights aren’t suitable for kids due to school the next day?

It doesn’t bother me one bit but I do feel for those with kids & who have to work the next day 🤨
It's not the Victorian ages, kids shouldn't be working the next day :D
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Football grounds are packed with kids in during mid week matches anyway.

Perhaps they're the ones who don't perform at school ? :?
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Thursday night games need to limit travel time. Either have an all Yorkshire or all Lancashire game.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:09 pm Football grounds are packed with kids in during mid week matches anyway.

Perhaps they're the ones who don't perform at school ? :?
And it those young buggers who’ll be nursing us in our old age..get em to bed I say little gits👍