Magic Weekend may head to France... but not in 2020

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Magic Weekend may head to France... but not in 2020

Post by josie andrews »

Catalans Dragons have no plans to return to the Nou Camp but have asked Super League to take the Magic Weekend to France.

The Dragons drew a Super League record crowd of 31,555 to Barcelona for their game against Wigan in May and, although they do not intend to return to Spain in 2020, they are hoping Super League will help them spread the game in France.

Catalans Dragons are really keen to see whether we can accommodate the Magic Weekend in France and they've got a couple of ideas they're working on," chief executive Robert Elstone told the PA news agency.

"They're not going to be ready for 2020 but I'm really excited about what the Dragons and us jointly can deliver going forward for Magic.

"I think Nou Camp was remarkable and, for one club to take on that risk and responsibility, I think Super League owes them a debt of gratitude and we should celebrate their entrepreneurialism.

"But I know it placed a huge burden on the club so I don't blame them for not being as ambitious in 2020 but they are showing great ambition about taking the game into different parts of France via Magic."

The 13th Magic Weekend was held for the first time at Anfield in May and, despite only a modest aggregate crowd of 56,869, looks likely to remain there for 2020. An announcement is expected in early October.

"We have real competition for Magic as an event from a couple of very serious venues - today there was a conversation with another venue in the south of England - and we will be putting a recommendation to clubs before the end of the month," Elstone said.

A lot will depend on the commercial deal but I'm a firm believer in Magic being used to celebrate Super League and being refreshed on a regular basis by taking it to new areas.

"Anfield and St James' are very keen to stage Magic in 2020 and my personal preference will be to stay at Anfield and see it build over at least one or two more years."

As he comes to the end of his first full year at the head of Super League, Elstone says the sport is in good shape but believes it could take a multi-million investment from private equity to take it to the next level.

"The priority is growing the profits of Super League," he said. "Short term that means the Grand Final attendance and it's also about new sponsors and corporate partners and the next TV deal.

Beyond that new investment potential could be transformational if it's brought it in a way that works for the investor and the clubs."

Elstone says his organisation is closely watching the progress of Premiership Rugby, which sold a minority shareholding to private equity firm CVC Capital Partners for a reported £230million in December 2018, and is aware that other firms have bought stakes in Formula One, football and Moto GP.

"We're right at the start of that journey," he said. "No formal engagement has been made however there is a lot of work ongoing to see if we can find a partner that will help transform the sport.

"Potentially it could be very exciting. We have a duty to look at it and, if we deliver it, it could be fantastic for Super League."

In addition to the bumper crowd at the Nou Camp, Elstone presided over a record Easter aggregate attendance of 79,173 and says five clubs - Salford, St Helens, Catalans Dragons, Warrington and Hull KR - have reported their highest increase in attendances over the last five seasons.

Elstone expects to drop the second Easter fixture for 2020 and is working with the Catalans in their efforts to find a new television broadcaster for next season, when Super League will celebrate its 25th anniversary.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/magic- ... 1-10002561
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Magic Weekend may head to France... but not in 2020

Post by josie andrews »

It was a flop at Anfield yet he wants to take it back there!! Unbelievable 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 pm It was a flop at Anfield yet he wants to take it back there!! Unbelievable 🤨
It'll be based on a strict commercial decision I suppose Josie, if the people at Liverpool are prepared to pay SL a higher price than any other party, then that will ultimately weigh on the decision.

Can't say I didn't enjoy Magic this time either (despite the result !), it was better than I thought atmosphere-wise. And so close to travel for once, without needing an expensive weekend away.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Worst Magic Weekend so far in my opinion . The stadium looks great until you sit down and your knee caps are hanging over the seat in from . The most uncomfortable stadium I have been in . Sitting watching 6 games over 2 days could do you real damage. We had to move to the far end by the screen and srand as it was impossible to sit in these seats for any length of time. I thought Superleague had made a statement after that it would not return to Anfield next year or was that my wishful thinking .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
bertina

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 pm It was a flop at Anfield yet he wants to take it back there!! Unbelievable 🤨
It was crap. If it’s at Anfield next year I will be going to our game only and straight back.
Take it back to Newcastle for me , it had everything.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bertina wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 pm
It was crap. If it’s at Anfield next year I will be going to our game only and straight back.
Loved Newcastle as well..got the feeling though little Bobby wants it at Anfield,so Anfield it will be
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 pm
Loved Newcastle as well..got the feeling though little Bobby wants it at Anfield,so Anfield it will be
Newcastle will do for me and not just because it is closer to home . All 4 years were excellent.

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:51 am
Newcastle will do for me and not just because it is closer to home . All 4 years were excellent.

Regards EW
100% agree with you EW,sometimes when nothing is broken why try to fix it?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Regards EW
Money from the host city is a critical decision.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Regards EW
Money from the host city is a critical decision.
Oh that’s right for sure,but and it’s hard to get the “real” reason but I just don’t see Liverpool city council pumping huge amounts to try and snare a sport that the main population has little to no Intest in?

Who knows it was a poor move taking it to Liverpool but I fear it’ll stay there mainly because Elstone won’t want to be seen as getting it wrong