Sky TV deal

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Sky TV deal

Post by nathan_rugby »

What is it about the tv deal that Lenegan and others really don’t like and have their reservations about ?

Do we have any insight into what Elstones view is on that?

Does anyone in the know have any idea what is trying to be negotiated or proposed ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Sky TV deal

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 am What is it about the tv deal that Lenegan and others really don’t like and have their reservations about ?

Does anyone in the know have any idea what is trying to be negotiated or proposed ?
How much they pay!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i dont know the exact reason(s), but it was generally that we only went to tender with 1 party (SKY) and due to the small mindedness of the yorkshire mafia who were struggling financially at the time, the RFL basically said its this deal and that is it, to get the money into the struggling sides (Wakey, Bradford that i can remember)

so clubs like Wigan, Saints etc had no option but to agree to the deal

All you need to do now is look at RU, they have deals with BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and guessing SKY / BT sports or both of them.

IMO it is an inferior product, certainly at club level - you cant knock the international game they have that sussed. So why do we go to tender with Sky only, surely anyone with the slightest bit of business sense can see that Sky will only offer what they think it is worth as they have no competition
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

oh and i think the ability to change fixtures as mentioned on Monday night which is costing money on the day with lost corporate etc
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 am What is it about the tv deal that Lenegan and others really don’t like and have their reservations about ?

How much they pay!
Are there any comparable figures to other sports of similar stature or what we potentially could have got else where?

What are we benchmarking against?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jobo

Post by jobo »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:49 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm

How much they pay!
Are there any comparable figures to other sports of similar stature or what we potentially could have got else where?

What are we benchmarking against?
Think that's the nub. Not enough work was done to assess RL's true market value.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Wasn’t the 5 year extension until 2021 agreed on the same terms as the previous deal in order to ensure a deal remained in place? I don’t believe it was offered to anyone else.

Eamon McManus was a big advocate for this in order to retain some sort of money into the clubs where as Leneghan wanted to offer it out to other broadcasters.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm a believer that having at least some SL on terrestrial TV (more than the current brief highlights on TSLS) would be a big long-term benefit to the sport.

We see it with the cricket: even the Ashes, if it's not on terrestrial, just isn't on the public's radar in the same way.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:18 pm I'm a believer that having at least some SL on terrestrial TV (more than the current brief highlights on TSLS) would be a big long-term benefit to the sport.

We see it with the cricket: even the Ashes, if it's not on terrestrial, just isn't on the public's radar in the same way.
I agree with you but I just get that feeling that sky are getting ready to pull the plug on their RL coverage so it might be the only option terrestrial tv might be the only way forward
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

The bbc are not to be trusted with RL ,they're to steeped in the old school tie,if they can find a negative headline they will.Putting highlights on in the dead of night deliberately in my opinion.
At the moment sky have a monopoly and it shows ,their coverage has become stale and tired,they use the game to fill slots in the schedule, fridays they put championship football on at the same time thus restricting audience members to devotees of the game.
The desperately poor presentation and marketing of the game may very soon lead to the game going back to being semi professional imo.
The game is dying in it heartland and is irrelevant everywhere else.