Sky TV deal

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Caboosegg

Re: Sky TV deal

Post by Caboosegg »

Mickw wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am The bbc are not to be trusted with RL ,they're to steeped in the old school tie,if they can find a negative headline they will.Putting highlights on in the dead of night deliberately in my opinion.
At the moment sky have a monopoly and it shows ,their coverage has become stale and tired,they use the game to fill slots in the schedule, fridays they put championship football on at the same time thus restricting audience members to devotees of the game.
The desperately poor presentation and marketing of the game may very soon lead to the game going back to being semi professional imo.
The game is dying in it heartland and is irrelevant everywhere else.
Fans are just as bad. Just look how many people pop up when we lose compared to when we win. Its the same on comment pages RL fans are a very toxic and negative bunch.

I enjoy the superleague show i have it on season link and just watch it when i have time. I would have thought the same for many who work as the days of sitting at the tv at a set time every week for a.show seem to be dead (netflix effect?)

I prefer bbc coverage to sky and the challenge cup coverage always seems to be more informed and constructive, to skys drival.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 am What is it about the tv deal that Lenegan and others really don’t like and have their reservations about ?

Do we have any insight into what Elstones view is on that?

Does anyone in the know have any idea what is trying to be negotiated or proposed ?
How much they pay!
Are there any comparable figures to other sports of similar stature or what we potentially could have got else where?

What are we benchmarking against?
I can’t remember what the exact figure was but RU had just agreed a deal fire three or four times what we got for club rugby with BT sport. Back then RU club rugby as that sort of a tv franchise was unknown. Audiences on the tv for their game were lower than for RL and they still managed to pull that off by putting out to tender.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Mickw wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am The bbc are not to be trusted with RL ,they're to steeped in the old school tie,if they can find a negative headline they will.Putting highlights on in the dead of night deliberately in my opinion.
At the moment sky have a monopoly and it shows ,their coverage has become stale and tired,they use the game to fill slots in the schedule, fridays they put championship football on at the same time thus restricting audience members to devotees of the game.
The desperately poor presentation and marketing of the game may very soon lead to the game going back to being semi professional imo.
The game is dying in it heartland and is irrelevant everywhere else.
Fans are just as bad. Just look how many people pop up when we lose compared to when we win. Its the same on comment pages RL fans are a very toxic and negative bunch.
I think that is a bit of a myth of your own making and even if fewer fans do post when we win it doesn’t mean they are disappointed we won or that they have nothing to moan about.

As to fans being toxic the number who post on the forums is a very small percentage and it’s absolutely no different in other sports when a team loses. You should check out Man City’s Facebook feed when they lose. You’d think they were going to get relegated.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Well bbc breakfast sports news this morning has had everything from athletics (which haven't started yet) to Scottish women's football but no mention of the Salford cas game, that's why the bbc can't be trusted with RL. Disgraceful.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mickw wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:58 am Well bbc breakfast sports news this morning has had everything from athletics (which haven't started yet) to Scottish women's football but no mention of the Salford cas game, that's why the bbc can't be trusted with RL. Disgraceful.
Playing devils advocate, what is the benefit of the BBC pushing more journalism towards Rugby League in place of some of the above sports?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If it is true that the RFL did not put a tender out to other tv providers then it is no wonder we did not get a favorable deal from Sky. Why would they give us more money than they had to?

Hopefully Elstone has a bit more business nous about him.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."