Bateman to seek upgrade, future clouded at Raiders

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Bateman to seek upgrade, future clouded at Raiders

Post by josie andrews »

Canberra are bracing themselves for the potential that superstar import John Bateman could seek a release from his deal, with the Englishman admitting he will sit down with the club in the off-season to discuss his salary.

NRL.com spoke to Bateman in the nation's capital on Tuesday ahead of this weekend's grand final against the Sydney Roosters, with the Raiders back-rower conceding he was likely to consider his options in the off-season if he was unable to gain an upgrade.

Bateman still has two more years to run on his deal with the Raiders, but recently acquired the services of player manager Isaac Moses.

Bateman's deal with the Raiders is worth between $350,000 and $400,000 – with the 26-year-old likely to attract double that money if he was granted permission to negotiate with rival NRL clubs.

The Raiders have salary cap limitations for next season and may not be in a position – nor are they obligated – to bump up the back-rower's deal.
I need to do what's best for my family. They know that.
John Bateman
"I've got a new agent over here, I'm with Isaac Moses," Bateman told NRL.com when asked about speculation his services had been offered to rival clubs.

"I don't know where Canberra are at with their salary cap. While I'm over here mate, I have to do what's best for me and best for my family. Moving forward I'll just have to weigh up my options and see what's there.

"But Canberra is the most important thing to me this week, and once this gets out of the way we'll sit down with Canberra and my agent will do what he will have to do, he will do his job. Going forward we'll just go from there."

Canberra are aware of rumblings around Bateman's future and have been privately concerned after Bateman linked with Moses.

The Raiders have invested plenty of time into Bateman this year, but also forked out £200,000 transfer fee to Wigan to lure him to the NRL from the Super League.

“Of course we want to keep him," Canberra chief executive Don Furner said.

"We'll enjoy the grand final and get through this week and then we’ll worry about sitting down with John after that."

The Raiders have shown in the past they are willing to stand their ground with players seeking more money elsewhere, forcing Anthony Milford to stick around for another season before he joined the Brisbane Broncos on a million-dollar-a-season deal.

Bateman has been a revelation at the Raiders since joining the club in the offseason, forming a close bond with coach Ricky Stuart.

But the Englishman said Stuart and the club were aware of his predicament.

"I owe Stick [Stuart] a lot," Bateman said

"He's took me in and looked after me. He's been a father figure to me, mate. When my family has been away he's been the man I've gone to, sat there and cried to. He's taken me in and looked after me. He's a great bloke and I'm really grateful for what he's done for me.

“But I need to do what's best for my family. They know that. My little girl, I want to give her the best opportunities and life and I'll see what those opportunities are. I don't know where Canberra is at with what people are coming and going but we'll sort it out after the season.

"You've got to earn as much money in your career as you can mate, I won't lie to you. She's so young and I need to give her the best opportunities in life. Whatever they are I will do because that's what's most important to me – my family."

Bateman, who moved away from his daughter and family when agreeing to join the Raiders, has arguably been one of the top 10 players in the NRL in 2019 and has been nominated for the Dally M back-rower of the year award ahead of Wednesday night's celebrations in Sydney.

Tickets for the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final 2019 are now on sale to the general public.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/joh ... t-raiders/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Re: Bateman to seek upgrade, future clouded at Raiders

Post by ddtftf »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not just us have problems keeping players .
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Paul Kent blasts ‘disgraceful’ player agent as John Bateman seeks contract upgrade at Raiders

NRL 360 host Paul Kent has called on the NRL to put its foot down when it comes to player managers encouraging their clients to break contracts after it emerged John Bateman will seek an upgraded deal at Canberra.

Bateman, who has been one the reasons behind the Raiders’ run to their first grand final in 25 years, revealed in an interview with NRL.com that he’ll sit down with the club in the off-season and discuss his salary despite having two years remaining on his deal.

The 26-year-old is on a contract reportedly worth between $350,000 and $400,000, but could seek an early release if the Green Machine aren’t able to accommodate a bumped up deal, something which the club isn’t obligated to do.

Bateman said he felt a sense of loyalty to coach Ricky Stuart who has looked after his since his move from Wigan, but admitted “you’ve got to earn as much money in your career as you can”.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1 ... ssion=true
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I am not sure it was a good move by John to make such an announcement in GF week. No doubt that he is worth more than he is getting but there is a time and place for everything.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:41 pm I am not sure it was a good move by John to make such an announcement in GF week. No doubt that he is worth more than he is getting but there is a time and place for everything.
From what I can gather, it’s the agent! Apparently he has the majority of the top NRL players on his books & like all agents, he wants the best for all of his clients......... and of course himself! 😠
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:44 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:41 pm I am not sure it was a good move by John to make such an announcement in GF week. No doubt that he is worth more than he is getting but there is a time and place for everything.
From what I can gather, it’s the agent! Apparently he has the majority of the top NRL players on his books & like all agents, he wants the best for all of his clients......... and of course himself! 😠
Remove best for the players and your right.

Bateman in in his first season he could price himself out of a job.

Tomkins did well in his first season (despite what the detractors say) however he wasn't worth his wage with the amount of time out injured in the second season.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:44 pm
I don’t disagree with what his agent is trying to do, these lads need to earn every penny they can, whilst they can. It is just the timing of the comment that I disagree with.
pedro

Post by pedro »

He had a 2 year contract and 1 is up...I dont think hes looking for an upgrade but an extension. Nothing wrong with that as they gave Sutton one already
shaunedwardsfanclub

He is looking for an upgrade and extension.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Contract , what contract? . Just as well doing an IFL and shaking hands on a deal as a paper one is as good as no good these days .

Regards EW
Last edited by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 and EW is hooked