Molyneux named GB Captain

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Molyneux named GB Captain

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Women’s Victoria Molyneux named Captain of Team GB Women’s Teachers.

No.13 has made a huge impact for the Women in 2019.

Team GB Women’s Teachers will open their campaign against UKAFRL.

Wigan Warriors Women’s Victoria Molyneux has been named Captain of the Team Great Britain Women’s Teachers side.

The loose-forward comes with a wealth of experience having represented at club, county and international level in Rugby League and has returned to the sport in the past 12 months to feature for the reigning Women’s Super League Champions.

Molyneux has made 12 appearances for Wigan in 2019, crossing for three tries and picking up several Player of the Match performances with her ‘never say die’ attitude.

She was named the Women’s Player of the Year at Monday’s Wigan Warriors End of Season Awards Night, having also been outstanding for Lancashire in the 2019 Women’s Origin Series and receiving a call up to the England Elite Player Squad earlier this season.

Speaking on her appointment as Captain of the GB Teachers side, Molyneux said: “I’m shocked and honoured. It’s been a whirlwind of a season in which a lot has happened with lots of surprises, but it’s a great honour to be asked to Captain the Teachers’ side.”

The newly-named skipper admits that there may be some nerves on game day when the Teachers face UK Armsed Forces Rugby League (UKAFRL) on Sunday 20th October.

“Of course I always want to win, I don’t like losing. But to represent your country in whatever capacity is a great achievement so I think the nerves may be more prominent prior to kick-off!”

Molyneux is ready to embrace her new role, with a hope to drive a winning and hard-working mentality into the side.

“I believe that defence wins games. So my style of play is fairly simple - run hard, work hard, hit hard, defend well and complete your sets.

“That is what I will be encouraging the girls to do on the pitch. It’s key on the pitch to work together, when it gets tough to pull together, work for each other and keep going. I hope to drive that mentality.”

Molyneux will be joined alongside Leigh Miners Rangers’ Mairead Quinn, who has been named as Vice-Captain.

Wigan Women’s Leah Darbyshire has also been included in the Team GB Teachers squad, following some impressive recent performances from the 17-year-old.

Team Great Britain Women’s Teachers will open their account for 2019 against UK Armed Forces Rugby League at Wigan St Judes Rugby Club on Sunday 20th October, 2pm kick-off.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... xRRD6Rj.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan