George Williams looking to make an immediate impression!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

George Williams looking to make an immediate impression!

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams admits he’s hoping to hit the ground running in Australia – and show his new Canberra Raiders fanbase what he can do!

The 24-year-old stand-off will start a new life in the NRL next year after drawing a line under his time with Wigan.

But before he joins John Bateman and Ryan Sutton in the Aussie capital, he has the small matter of Great Britain duty later this month – and representing England in the World Cup 9s this weekend!

When asked if he was looking to make a good first impression with Raiders fans, Williams replied: “Yeah, maybe...no pressure!

“But yeah, every time you play, you want people to take notice of how well you’re playing.

“Knowing I’m off to Canberra, I’d obviously like to impress them ahead of next year.”

All of the teams competing in the World Cup 9s – in the mens’ and women’s version – were in Sydney yesterday for a photoshoot in front of the city’s most famous landmarks.

”Having all the teams here, men and women, is great for our sport,” acknowledged Williams.

”Seeing all the kits and the cultures was impressive, and I can’t wait to get going.

“This competition will be massive, and we’re all looking forward to taking part.

“It’s a whole new ball game, there’s new rules we have to get used to, but it’s exciting at the same time.

”Sam (Tomkins) played in the 2014 comp, for New Zealand Warriors, so hopefully he’ll have some tips!

“ It seems like it will be harder for defenders, with obviously ball carriers having more space, and hopefully that will suit my game.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/george ... 1-10055768
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: George Williams looking to make an immediate impression!

Post by josie andrews »

Nines will suit me: Williams

George Williams looks ahead to England’s opening World Cup Nines game against Wales on Friday.

England to field both Men’s and Women’s teams for the first time in a Nines tournament.

Williams: “It’s pretty impressive to see how many players are involved. I liked all the different kits – it brought a bit of culture and it looks good on the pictures.”

George Williams has revealed his excitement of playing Rugby League Nines for the first time as England face Wales on Friday.

The stand-off is part of an 16-man England coached by Wayne Bennett and captained by James Graham, as England take part in the first ever World Cup Nines in Sydney, Australia.

Williams is one of 11 players that have been selected in the Great Britain squad for their Tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea following the tournament.

Speaking at Tuesday’s press launch, Williams said: “It was a pretty special scene – looking over the Sydney Harbour – it’s a great setting and it’s exciting to be a part of the squad.

I’ve never played it (Rugby League Nines) before, but I can imagine there is a bit more space, obviously. I like to run the ball so hopefully I’ll get a lot of chance of doing that.”

For the first time, England will field Men’s and Women’s teams in the same Nines tournament, which will be played at the new Bankwest Stadium on October 18th and 19th, and broadcast live on Sky Sports.

England’s Men have been drawn in a qualifying group with Wales, France and Lebanon, with only the winners progressing to the Semi-Finals.

England Women, who announced a 16-player squad in August, which Wigan’s Georgia Wilson is a part of, will play in a four-team tournament with Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, with the top two in the qualifying group going straight to the Final.

On the concept, Williams stated: “It’s fantastic. Both men and women are playing and there’s plenty of numbers and teams involved so it will be a great advertisement for Rugby League and international rugby.

“It’s pretty impressive to see how many players are involved. I liked all the different kits – it brought a bit of culture and it looks good on the pictures.”

The 12 participating nations in the Men’s competition are divided in to four pools – with the top two from Pool A (Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, USA) qualifying for the Semi-Finals, alongside the winners of Pool B (England, France, Lebanon, Wales) and Pool C (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands).

Here is a list of the full set of fixtures:

Friday 18 October:

6.20pm – France v Lebanon
6.45pm – England v Papua New Guinea (Women)
7.10pm – England v Wales
7.35pm – Tonga v Cook Islands
8.10pm – Samoa v Fiji
8.35pm – Australia v New Zealand (Women)
9.00pm – Australia v New Zealand
9.25pm – Papua New Guinea v USA

Saturday 19 October:

11.30am – New Zealand v Papua New Guinea (Women)
11.55am – France v Wales
12.20pm – England v Lebanon
12.45pm – Samoa v Cook Islands
1.10pm – Tonga v Fiji
1.45pm – New Zealand v Papua New Guinea
2.10pm – Australia v USA
2.35pm – Australia v England (Women)
3.00pm – Lebanon v Wales
3.25pm – England v France
4.00pm – Fiji v Cook Islands
4.25pm – Tonga v Samoa
4.50pm – New Zealand v USA
5.15pm – Australia v Papua New Guinea
5.40pm – Australia v Papua New Guinea (Women)
6.05pm – New Zealand v England (Women)
6.55pm – Men’s Semi-Final
7.20pm – Men’s Semi-Final
7.45pm – Women’s Final (Women)
9.00pm – Men’s Final

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 92WUSq1.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Somehow I don't think hop skip and run round like a headless chicken is going to cut darn under
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And yet.... Wayne Bennett rates him, Ricky Stuart rates him.

Still, what do they know?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:47 pm And yet.... Wayne Bennett rates him, Ricky Stuart rates him.

Still, what do they know?
Big whoopedy doo
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Williams did make an impression in the 9s, but a poor one, he was average at best.I cant understand the logic of fans saying what do Bennett and Stuart know.They are not infallible and get it wrong at times.How many brits have been taken over to Oz and come back as failures?Plenty and Williams will be another, I just home he doesnt comeback to Wigan.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Tomkins was the only one that stood out for me in the 9s
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

If i was a looking at Williams as our player for next year in the NRL i would be very worried
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 pm Tomkins was the only one that stood out for me in the 9s
I thought same then went into hiding when we played the big boys
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

There's no doubt Tomkins looked our best player by a distance.

I see confirmation bias upthread from people who don't rate Williams, thinking a few minutes on-field in a sport he's never played in his life before helped to prove their case! :lol:

What I don't get was the logic of playing so many props. The Aussies seemed to manage without any!