RFL STATEMENT: CATALANS VS WARRINGTON

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RFL STATEMENT: CATALANS VS WARRINGTON

Post by josie andrews »

Catalans Dragons have been fined £27,500, and Warrington Wolves £15,000, after an RFL investigation into the events which followed their Betfred Super League fixture in Perpignan on August 3.

Both clubs have accepted the findings and reached an ‘Agreed Decision’ with the RFL in accordance with RFL processes.

Warrington Wolves will pay for the remaining third of the costs, with £5000 of their fine suspended, also until the end of the 2021 season.

Catalans Dragons and Warrington Wolves each accepted that they had a case to answer in relation to crowd misconduct at the fixture, as each club has a responsibility for the actions of its own supporters and a duty to take all reasonable steps to ensure their proper behaviour wherever a match is held. Both clubs acknowledged that the events of Saturday 3 August brought the game into disrepute.

Karen Moorhouse, RFL Chief Regulatory Officer, said: “The behaviour of some of the supporters at this fixture was completely unacceptable and has no place in Rugby League – importantly, both Catalans Dragons and Warrington Wolves have accepted that, and committed themselves to taking positive steps in response.

“All clubs have a responsibility to ensure that everybody who comes into a stadium can enjoy the game – that is a key part of our Enjoy the Game campaign, which promotes a welcoming and enjoyable experience for everyone at Rugby League, wherever it is played and whatever their role.

“This incident was highly unusual, in a game which has always taken pride in the behaviour of the vast majority of Rugby League supporters, and the family traditions it has encouraged; however, we are aware that it was not the only disappointing off-field incident in the 2019 season, and it is important we are not complacent in that regard. We will be working with clubs to reinforce the importance of the Enjoy the Game campaign during the off-season.”

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/ ... warrington
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Re: RFL STATEMENT: CATALANS VS WARRINGTON

Post by bertina »

Not even a slap on the wrists for an ugly incident that was broadcast on TV.
Should have been much more severe punishment than that.
jobo

Post by jobo »

bertina wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:23 am Not even a slap on the wrists for an ugly incident that was broadcast on TV.
You'd think so but I'm not so sure it's the club's who should be punished.

Take action against any of the fans who can be identified I'd say.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jobo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 am
bertina wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:23 am Not even a slap on the wrists for an ugly incident that was broadcast on TV.
You'd think so but I'm not so sure it's the club's who should be punished.

Take action against any of the fans who can be identified I'd say.
I think the fines are correct the sport can’t hand out fines for more than can be paid,so it’s about right (and yes I’m aware neither club are on the heel but even so)

But yes if fans can be indentified they should receive a ban,it was on the tv after all they seem to have got away Scott free,but I suspect the real loser in all of this will be Catalan like a faded film star with looks that aren’t as fresh as they once where are in danger of losing their fans to a new sexy,sleek kid on the block with Toronto being in SL.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'd never thought of Steve McNamara as Norma Desmond before! :lol:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It doesn’t set the bar high enough, we need to rid our game of such behaviour. Deduct the money from the salary cap and the clubs will act.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

What exactly are we leaning on the clubs to do, though? Surely all they can do is try to identify the culprits and ban them. I assume they are already trying to do that, without need of being coerced. What further can they do?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I think Wire have got off lightly.
Catalan, as host clb should bear the brunt but even so, Wire fans were out of control and didn't care that their own players' famillies were in that stand.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:24 pm What exactly are we leaning on the clubs to do, though? Surely all they can do is try to identify the culprits and ban them. I assume they are already trying to do that, without need of being coerced. What further can they do?
They can be made to pay for policing at their matches for starters. The idiots on tv should have been arrested and dealt with by the courts. If you had done the same on King St you would have had your collar felt. The trouble is that our great country is becoming too liberal. People should be able to go a match without the fear of encountering such behaviour, we keep being told that it is a family sport, but is it? Deduct fines from the salary cap then hopefully club owners and genuine supporters will do something about it.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards