Netherlands bid for Wolfpack Super League game

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Netherlands bid for Wolfpack Super League game

Post by josie andrews »

With their early season fixtures in Betfred Super League 2020 set to go ‘on the road’ because of the climate in Toronto, the promoted Wolfpack are currently finalising potential venues for their top flight debut.

The Netherlands Rugby League Bond has submitted a bid to host a clash, with two potential venues proposed – the 11,000 capacity Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel, The Castle, in Rotterdam and the NCRA Stadium in Amsterdam, which holds 6,000 fans.

Should the Wolfpack take up the offer, it would see Super League break new ground in bringing professional rugby league to a seventh county, after having staged matches in England, Wales, Scotland, France, Spain and Canada to date.

Newly-appointed NRLB competitions manager, Matt Rigby commented: “I am really excited that we have the foundations to table an exciting bid to bring the Toronto Wolfpack to either of two of Europe’s biggest and best cities. We believe hosting a professional rugby league event in the Netherlands would be a huge lift in our development and are hopeful of receiving their approval.”

The bid has been supported by Netherlands head coach, Kane Krlic: “Over the past five years the NRLB has grown at a rapid rate,” he said. “The player pool, amount of clubs and skill levels have all increased during the period and that has led to a greater appreciation for rugby league in the Netherlands. If we could bring a professional match here, I firmly believe that it would not only accelerate our development but also be a major event for the enthusiastic Dutch sporting public, as well as travelling fans from the UK.”

https://www.totalrl.com/netherlands-bi ... ague-game/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Netherlands bid for Wolfpack Super League game

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I’m all for spreading the message and I think that Toronto’s inclusion is certainly doing that. Hopefully, it will lead to more global investment in the game.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards