St Helens and Sydney confirm World Club Challenge date

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

St Helens and Sydney confirm World Club Challenge date

Post by josie andrews »

St Helens and Sydney Roosters will face each other in the World Club Challenge on Saturday 22 February at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

The fixture has been confirmed after both sides confirmed their positions as the best in their respective leagues, with Saints defeating Salford in the Grand Final and Sydney seeing off Canberra’s challenge to win back-to-back NRL titles.

It will be the second time the clubs have faced each other in the WCC, with the Roosters taking the spoils after a 38-0 win in 2003 at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium.

Saints will be aiming to win their third World Club Challenge, having picked up the trophy in 2001 and 2007, while the Roosters will be looking for their fifth, having been victorious in 1976, 2003, 2014 and 2019.

Super League Executive Chairman Robert Elstone said: “Saints dominated our competition in 2019 and we know they will relish the opportunity to test themselves against the best in the NRL.

I’m already starting to look forward to seeing some of the best rugby league players in the world.”

New St Helens head coach Kristian Woolf added: “We are really excited about the opportunity to face the Roosters in such a prestigious fixture.

“It will be a great challenge for us to test ourselves against the current World Club Champions and we are aiming to stand up and represent Super League and this part of the world in what will be a huge game.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/st-helen ... ate-24345/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The_Field_Marshal

Re: St Helens and Sydney confirm World Club Challenge date

Post by The_Field_Marshal »

Thank you for the update Josie.

This is my first post. It is good to be here!

I am a fanatical Roosters supporter from Australia, but am also a Warriors fan since the mid 1980's. I saw the match between Wigan and Hull in Wollongong in February 2018. I really enjoyed being in the crowd with the travelling Warriors support - I have never experienced an English game atmosphere before. It was very enjoyable.

Hopefully you guys will be backing the Roosters over your arch enemy in the WCC!

Just one minor thing - I think we have already beaten St Helens twice. We are confident of winning it.

We play the Nines a week earlier, so I imagine our team will be weakened for that. We should prioritise the WCC.

I hope Wigan brings at least another game over to Australia one day. I certainly would look to attend it.

Go the Warriors (and the mighty Roosters)

The Marshal
Last edited by The_Field_Marshal on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Field Marshal, TFM or The Marshal
The_Field_Marshal

Re: St Helens and Sydney confirm World Club Challenge date

Post by The_Field_Marshal »

This is my first post. It is good to be here.

I tried to post earlier, but it has not yet been published.

Go the mighty Warriors (and the Sydney Roosters in the NRL)!

Hopefully you all will be supporting my Roosters in the WCC.
The Field Marshal, TFM or The Marshal