Challenge cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Caboosegg

Challenge cup

Post by Caboosegg »

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... -confirmed

So because the RFL do half assed promotion Catalan would have to cover any shortfall if the make it to the final.

Will they be doing the same to english clubs if the attendance falls again?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
thegimble

Re: Challenge cup

Post by thegimble »

Or shoud they us a stadium that holds 50 to 60k and not 150 miles or more travel for the fans.

Common sense needed and stop the nostalgia that is killing the game.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm Or shoud they us a stadium that holds 50 to 60k and not 150 miles or more travel for the fans.

Stadium of Light
Hampden Park
Etihad Stadium
Villa Park?
doc

Post by doc »

Final has to stay at Wembley. We need as much media coverage as we can muster and moving away from the national stadium for a showpiece event is not going to help.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

medlocke wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:45 pm
thegimble wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm Or shoud they us a stadium that holds 50 to 60k and not 150 miles or more travel for the fans.

Stadium of Light
Hampden Park
Etihad Stadium
Villa Park?
Anfield would be my choice. Holds 60k almost. Or take it around the country and use the stadiums you mention.

Train ticket from Bangor to London is at times over a 100 pound. My nearest station. Its an expensive day out when i can bring 4 in a car to the GF for 30 pounds petrol and 10 for parking. And be home for the highlights.

Common sense needs to take over our game. As all we seem to do is the same thing over and over and attendances are dropping for the cc.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wembley’s time is done fans clearly aren’t prepared to spend big money as a neutral as in the old days to go down there.

A large dose of realism is needed in the sport and stop trying to fill a stadium that soulless on the best of days,look at wire and saints that match barely got 62 thousand there.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wembley was done once they built the crappy new stadium
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:20 am Wembley was done once they built the crappy new stadium
have to say i agree.

i went to the Saints v Catalan game as it was the 1st game back at Wembley, but was so disappointed with it i said i would only go back to watch Wigan.

they have killed everything that was special about the old Wembley stadium for the fans. we ended up drinking our cans on a petrol station forecourt cos there is nowhere else near the ground

i used to love the 6am train down, 9am in Euston, then make our way over to Wembley to then fall down the grass verges on a regular basis :).

the new place has no soul and hasnt been designed with the fans in mind, other than to make money out of them when they get inside
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

On a personal note I prefer to attend a CC final at Wembley than a GF.probably because im a traditionalist and an old fogey but I still find it a better occasion.
The_Field_Marshal

Post by The_Field_Marshal »

I have loved watching the Challenge Cup final since I was a young lad over here in Australia! The first one I can distinctly recall was Halifax v St Helens in 1987. I liked Wigan from my early days in the mid 1980's (the 'Fax were okay too, as they seemed to have similar hooped jerseys to the mighty Warriors). We used to see it on free to air TV (Channel 10 here in Sydney), and my father used to wake me in the wee small hours to watch it. I think FOX League (our pay TV) shows it, but it is not as accessible as it used to be. They were great memories. I certainly hope to get over there in coming years to watch one. I would certainly love to experience it at Wembley (mainly for the sake of tradition), but I understand the arguments put forward on this forum. Would other stadium options naturally be Old Trafford or Elland Road, or are they sensitive suggestions because of Manchester and Leeds United, respectively? I would also like to attend a World Club Challenge match - my beloved Sydney Roosters are heading over again in February and will hopefully knock over those Saints. I expect mixed views on that one, but that's fine.
The Field Marshal, TFM or The Marshal