Stuart Cummings leaves Sky Sports to take new refereeing role

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Stuart Cummings leaves Sky Sports to take new refereeing role

Post by josie andrews »

Stuart Cummings will not be a part of Sky Sports’ coverage next season after taking up a role with International Rugby League.

Cummings has been appointed as the governing body’s first-ever match official manager, with the IRL confirming he will step down from his TV role.

The news will be well-received by many rugby league watchers, with Cummings’ role of scrutinising refereeing decisions become a popular criticism amongst viewers.

Professional players have been among his biggest critics throughout his stay on programming.

In his new role, the IRL say Cummings will be the ‘public face of match officials for International Rugby League and Cummings’ portfolio will include appointments, development, high-performance evaluation, pathways and educational frameworks’.

“I am really excited and honoured to be taking on this role with International Rugby League,” he said.

“Since I refereed my first international in 1994, I have seen officiating in international competition as the pinnacle of a match official’s career. I look forward to developing opportunities for officials to experience some of the highs that I did during my officiating career as well as working with countries where Rugby League is developing as a sport in order to create pathways for their match officials to progress.”

https://www.totalrl.com/stuart-cummings ... eing-role/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Stuart Cummings leaves Sky Sports to take new refereeing role

Post by medlocke »

CPWigan's mate to take over Stuarts SKY duties :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Who is that then?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:29 pm Who is that then?
Steve Ganson :D
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Why for heavens sake do we have to have an ex referee on the commentary team? The commentators spent more time talking about why or why not certain decisions were given than the game itself.Surely it cant be because Clarky, Barry, Terry, Wells and Carney, after playing over 1000 games between them dont know the rules? Although on second thoughts :(
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Its boring get some one commentating with real unbiased, wigless, unrefereeing passion for the game
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

I don't see any problem with having an official who can give you the true interpretation of the law rather than what the commentators or ex players think it is/should be
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'm ok with Cummings. After Mike Stevenson going on for 20 years saying "That should be a penalty" it was good to have someone who knows the rules and can give them word for word. As soon as Cummings arrived Stevo stopped all that.
As for Baz and Tez they can't tell us accurately what they are seeing in front of their eyes.
Both should have gone years ago.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Truth is there's simply too many of them, you need 2,one professional commentator like Hemmings was and someone like Stevo,or in due course Wilkin (he really does know the game without going overboard)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Someone like andrew voss would be perfect...... knowledgeable, but still passionate for the game without obvious bias
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE