Prince Harry to conduct World Cup draw at Buckingham Palace

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Prince Harry to conduct World Cup draw at Buckingham Palace

Post by josie andrews »

World Cup organisers have secured a coup, announcing that Prince Harry will host the draw for the 2021 tournament at Buckingham Palace on January 16.

On the same day that he and wife Meghan revealed plans to "step back as 'senior' members of the Royal family", the Duke of Sussex was named to perfom the draw at the iconic venue.

The involvement of Prince Harry and Buckingham Palace was already guaranteed to generate massive interest in the draw but that will go to another level after Thursday's shock announcement.

The draws for the men's, women's and wheelchair World Cups will be broadcast live on the Royal Family's Facebook and Twitter accounts, as well as RLWC2021 media assets.

"We are delighted and honoured that The Duke of Sussex will be hosting the draws from one of the most famous landmarks in the world," RLWC2021 CEO Jon Dutton said.

“ His achievements in driving inclusivity in sport with the Invictus Games and his wider projects within rugby league makes him the perfect fit for the draw."

The Duke of Sussex has been Patron of the Rugby Football League since December 2016, when he succeeded Her Majesty, the Queen.

Prince Harry presented the 2019 Challenge Cup Trophy to the winners, Warrington Wolves, at Wembley Stadium.

It will be the first time there has been a live draw for a World Cup. It will take place next on January 16 at 11pm (AEDT).

The draw will reveal the opening fixtures for each tournament, which will include the host nation England, and kicks off with the men's opening ceremony on October 23, 2021 at St James' Park, Newcastle.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/09/pri ... am-palace/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Prince Harry to conduct World Cup draw at Buckingham Palace

Post by josie andrews »

Was this agreed BEFORE he decided to step back from senior royal duties?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

He realised how low his life had become with this rugby league draw (he thought it was Union) so the writing was on the wall... he then decided to step back from public life as a major royal.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

He can do the draw from Toronto if that's where he's off to. Does it really matter..
jobo

Post by jobo »

Oh no, a political topic😱😱
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:22 pm Oh no, a political topic😱😱
It’s not really political as it’s regarding the RL World Cup.

If people are offended I will lock the topic.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 pm
jobo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:22 pm Oh no, a political topic😱😱
It’s not really political as it’s regarding the RL World Cup.

If people are offended I will lock the topic.
As Josie says this isn't political. It is just another example unfortunately of Rugby Leagues ability to get things wrong at the right time although he is still due to oversee the World Cup draw next week if the Daily Telegraph is to be believed.
I recall Mrs B's remark when the original announcement of their engagement came out of the comment made by the Duke of Edinburgh many years ago of actresses being made for stepping out with not marrying.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m no royalist but surely most could see this weeks goings on when the romance first blossomed,I suspect it’ll all end in tears but there you go,shame the news totally overshadowed the World Cup draw but that seems to be RLs lot in life.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If the draw goes ahead we'll get an amazing amount of attention! But I very much doubt he'll do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

He will do it as planned, I'm sure. (According to The Sunday Times).