Question regarding Testimonials??

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

Re: Question regarding Testimonials??

Post by moto748 »

OK, thanks. :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:43 pm I was under the impression that the RFL had to sanction any player testimonial . Used to only be granted if a player served ten years at one club . Not sure of the rules now .

Regards EW
I always knew it was the RFL that awarded a testimonial. The players club had to request it.

And yes, it was ten years at the same club. But there isn’t as much loyalty these days I suppose money & agents see to that! 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

The way it's done now could be because of the salary cap. (Purely a guess but I'd think money generated from testimonial events for a player would count on the cap if not authorised by the RFL)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Yes it’s the RFL who sanction them.

Think about it for a minute. Testimonials generate income for the player. Income from RL related activities normally equals a hit on the salary cap!

If clubs could sanction them off their own bat we’d have loads of them for senior players as trick to get around the cap.