McDermott outlines Toronto recruitment struggles

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Barney841

Re: McDermott outlines Toronto recruitment struggles

Post by Barney841 »

Let’s be honest having a team from Canada in super league is abit of a farce
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Hull FC chairman Adam Pearson slams 'ludicrous' Toronto Wolfpack claims and says stop moaning

The FC owner says the Wolfpack should enjoy being in Super League

Hull FC chairman Adam Pearson has told Toronto Wolfpack to stop moaning and start enjoying being a Super League club.

The FC club owner has given a stinging criticism of Toronto following recent comments by Wolfpack chairman Bob Hunter and head coach Brian McDermott.

The Canadian outfit have spoken about the Super League television deal which sees them exempt from picking up the centralised Sky TV funding, having struck a deal to keep the television broadcasting rights in North America.

Hunter said: “We inherited this deal and now it's time to talk about different terms because we need it to survive.”

Meanwhile, McDermott has said the club could ask for salary cap dispensation, with Toronto saying convincing players to come play overseas at a new expansion club means they have had to pay over the odds for some players.

McDermott has just 23 players in his squad to pick from.

The recent comments in the press have irked Pearson, who believes it’s not how the club should be approaching their start to life in Super League.

“It’s disappointing because they’ve come into Super League and all they have done since coming into the competition is moan,” Pearson told Hull Live.

They begged to come into this league three years ago and signed a deal in all good faith to keep the North American broadcasting rights. I read yesterday they said they inherited this deal. They didn’t inherit it, they negotiated it themselves.

“Maybe they’ve brought in a new chief exec and he inherited it, but the club have had this deal for three years. Don’t say you inherited it when you negotiated it. You’ve got this deal, get on with it.

“Don’t pay £3m to one player and then complain that you haven’t got enough players or enough money. It’s ludicrous, really ludicrous.”

The latest Wolfpack story to hit the headlines is news star signing Sonny Bill Williams is set to refuse to wear the logo of the competition’s title sponsor Betfred.

The New Zealand superstar converted to Islam 10 years ago and will refuse to wear the logo due to his faith.

Hunter told the Telegraph, “We’re in discussions with Super League about this, but Sonny has been very clear in his stance on the matter. I think Betfred will benefit by taking the position that we respect and honour the player’s religious beliefs.”

Pearson believes Toronto need to show Betfred more respect in this matter, adding: “We have a great sponsor in Betfred so instead of moaning about them, they should be saying what a great and fantastic thing they are doing for our sport because they are a great sponsor.

“You won’t put their name badge on your player’s shirt and that player is getting £3m. I think they need to have a good look at themselves.

“All the coach and chairman have done since coming into the league have moan. We are taking close to 1,500 fans to Toronto for their first home game, why don’t they get some marketing done to bring some supporters back here!

“We are a very tight group in Super League. All the clubs get on really well and we don’t go into the press slagging off the other clubs. So they can carry on along their own path, or get down to it and enjoy Super League and get on board with everyone. Stop moaning and enjoy it.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ck-3771908
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's right. Hull must have to pay for people to keep homes outside of Hull too, because whod want to live (or even go) there? Wasn't it worst city in Britain recently?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

"we don’t go into the press slagging off the other clubs" [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

So what's this article about!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:30 am "we don’t go into the press slagging off the other clubs" [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

So what's this article about!

Lol yea it is a little pot calling,but does he have a point though?SWB has bought stock options in the Wolfpack which could be worthless let’s be fair if it fails but also worth serious cash if they succeed so it’s a bit rich almost crying poverty while signing such a big name.

I’m torn with the Toronto experiment I doubt it has legs to stay the course and be here in 10 years but we shall see I suppose