Sonny Bill Williams won't wear chief Super League sponsor due to his religious beliefs

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Nezza Faz

Re: Sonny Bill Williams won't wear chief Super League sponsor due to his religious beliefs

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wintergreen wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 am This creates a dangerous precedent imo.

Whatever next? "Sorry I can't play in red as it's my unlucky colour"

"Sorry I object to insurance companies, can I remove the logo please"

He should be told where to go imo.
In all honesty, we should be trying to get away as much as possible from Betting/Beer Sponsorships in the long run. The image for our game isn't great splashing their brands about, in a sporting context.

Many countries in Europe have had a ban on this for years, we always have to cover up our logos and have alternative ones when we play at Catalans. And at one time, Kids Jersey sizes always had to carry different front logos on Warriors gear, don't know if this still happens, but it makes sense.
josie andrews

Re: Sonny Bill Williams won't wear chief Super League sponsor due to his religious beliefs

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am
Wintergreen wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 am This creates a dangerous precedent imo.

In all honesty, we should be trying to get away as much as possible from Betting/Beer Sponsorships in the long run. The image for our game isn't great splashing their brands about, in a sporting context.

Many countries in Europe have had a ban on this for years, we always have to cover up our logos and have alternative ones when we play at Catalans. And at one time, Kids Jersey sizes always had to carry different front logos on Warriors gear, don't know if this still happens, but it makes sense.
Yes they still do 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:36 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am

Yes they still do 😊
Thanks for confirming Josie - I would just say Betfred are more of a positive, and do appear to have a genuine interest in our game. But it's the industry per se, that we should be finding alternatives to.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

While I at least feel bettered do have an interest in our game im another that feel sport should move away from betting companies for sponsorship needs.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote:This creates a dangerous precedent imo.

It’s nothing new players objecting to things on religious grounds but perhaps if he feels that strongly the question ought be be, why is he in SL at all?

Betfred are major sponsors so whether he wants to admit it or not, his income is at least in some way indirectly derived from Betfred.

So covering up the sponsorship logos on his shirt looks like a bit of tokenism to me.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Good job he didnt look around when he signed..........

“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS