SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by Mike »

medlocke wrote:When did the world become so PC ffs, Political Correctness is destroying everything, He has strong religious views yet when he says them in public he is suddenly more evil than Hitler and Chairman Mao combined, I don't agree with what he said but he had a right to say it but then he should have realised that only certain groups of people are allowed to be outspoken and it's usually the ones who get triggered by what others say, Any fan with a problem should have a think back to when Warrington signed a bloke who liked letting his dog lick his twig and giggleberries, Where was the worldwide condemnation then, If he wants to sign then let him sign and let his rugby do the talking
It didn't. He said what he said knowing he'd be sacked. Other leople don't agree Witt what he said. That's not PC gone mad it's just what other people think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

I know I said I wouldn't post because i am riled up by this... but I would like to commend the club for their actions with the 'pride day'.

I for one will be waiting for him to come off the coach to express my right to freedom of speech. I would hope others will join me. :)
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Richymac wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm I know I said I wouldn't post because i am riled up by this... but I would like to commend the club for their actions with the 'pride day'.

I for one will be waiting for him to come off the coach to express my right to freedom of speech. I would hope others will join me. :)
while the club has done the right thing and show the way to deal with views like this, surely abusing a player for their beliefs makes you no better than them?

will you give Hardaker grief for his homophobia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/27771167
and then shortly after:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/29030926

I question if this would have been a massive deal for everyone if it wasn't about his religion.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its a bit of a tricky one really

On the one hand we live in an age in which we should of left bigoted beliefs like IF's behind and moved on.

On the other hand IF is in theory protected to think what he likes as part of his right to religious beliefs

Its kinda like what happens when the unstoppable force hits the immovable object - you cant have rights for everyone without having rights for everyone and not everyone's going to agree all the time.

that said my view (which i have a right to) if there is a god i really really doubt he gives two craps about which human you fall in love with Love is love.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Thought we would see him in SL. Especially since his case was over where he settled out of court for an amount not disclosed but its is thought to be millions. The case was much more than just Human Rights V Religious Rights as pressure was put on RU Australia to sack him by Qantas immediately.

He has every right to believe what he wants and has every right to say it. Problem today is if your on the far left or moderate left you get away with anything. Justin Trudeau black faced in the 2001 yet I bet if that was done by a person the PC brigade wanted to cancel they would go all out on him. Just as Dave Chappelle, Joe Rogan, Ricky Gervais and others have had to endure. Say anything about a certain group of people and your labelled and attacked. Obama got a Nobel price for peace and has bombed more countries than Bush did. Everything is ok it seems if your left leaning. And ironically I regard myself as a leftist person. But seriously have had enough of wanting to cancel people for having a different belief. Cancel culture goes one way.

This in hindsight was a massive mistake which has cost union in Australia millions and they are not that cash rich in comparison to NRL, English union, French or even New Zealand.

Saying all that I do hope we become a more tolerant society and accept everyone even if totally different from yourself. And allow people to be who they want to be and are allowed to live they life they wish to in peace. especially from abuse.

As for the club if they LGBT communities right's were that important to the club they would have done this over the last few years. {Or have they have I missed something} and not gone points scoring because Folau signed for Catalan. Now do we do a Religious Rights event to balance it out or is one section of society more important than they other.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:55 pm
medlocke wrote:When did the world become so PC ffs, Political Correctness is destroying everything, He has strong religious views yet when he says them in public he is suddenly more evil than Hitler and Chairman Mao combined, I don't agree with what he said but he had a right to say it but then he should have realised that only certain groups of people are allowed to be outspoken and it's usually the ones who get triggered by what others say, Any fan with a problem should have a think back to when Warrington signed a bloke who liked letting his dog lick his twig and giggleberries, Where was the worldwide condemnation then, If he wants to sign then let him sign and let his rugby do the talking
It didn't. He said what he said knowing he'd be sacked. Other leople don't agree Witt what he said. That's not PC gone mad it's just what other people think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I do not agree with what he said Mike but its the ban him culture that has gone mad that most people are defending him on. I do not know one person that agrees with his view. People do not discuss things any more than just jump on the bandwagon and want people cancelled.

PC culture has gone mad.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Taking away the political aspect, there is no doubt he is a superb player and certainly is an interesting signing for SL overall!
Folau is certainly a major talking point and controversial but equally so, there are many SL players from years gone by who have shamed themselves and in some cases redeemed themselves!
Personally, I'm looking forward to his on field performances and not his social media rants!
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Richymac wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm I know I said I wouldn't post because i am riled up by this... but I would like to commend the club for their actions with the 'pride day'.

while the club has done the right thing and show the way to deal with views like this, surely abusing a player for their beliefs makes you no better than them?

will you give Hardaker grief for his homophobia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/27771167
and then shortly after:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/29030926

I question if this would have been a massive deal for everyone if it wasn't about his religion.
As it happens I am not a big fan of Hardaker's comments to the ref and St's player (allegedly) and I struggled to appreciate him playing for us until his interview last year where he spoke openly about his issues and showed remorse.

Folau on the other hand has shown no remorse, had been warned twice before about his comments until he was finally sacked and he has come across as very entitled throughout the whole process. Not once has he apologised to the LGBTQ+ community.

Unlike Zak, Folau has shown no remorse. Not even acknowledging the community he offended with his harmful comments.

I think this would have been an even bigger issue if it weren't for his religion. Seems to me as though he could have said anything about anyone but as long as he said it was his "religious beliefs" then some people would let him off the hook.

I do think that we should leave it to the LGBTQ+ community to decide whether his comments are offensive as they are the affected party. The response from the LGBTQ+ is a resounding middle finger to Folau.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Can’t remember the last time there was this many top signings coming up to a new season.
Quite refreshing