SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by josie andrews »

Super League executives are considering the prospect of Israel Folau playing in the competition after Catalans Dragons expressed their desire to sign the 30-year-old.

The Dragons have been in talks with Folau and are thought to be close to agreeing to terms with the former Australia Test star.

Such is their interest, they have made contact with Super League chief executive Robert Elstone to discuss the prospect of signing Folau, who was sacked by Rugby Australia last year after he said “hell awaits” gay people in a social media post last year.

Elstone has held private discussions on the matter of Folau and is thought to be torn on the prospect of having the centre in the competition. While Elstone is aware of the public backlash his presence in the competition would likely attract due to his controversial views, he is also aware of the exposure the cross-code star would bring alongside Super League’s latest raft of new additions, headed by Sonny Bill Williams.

Ultimately, the decision is not Elstone’s or Super League’s to make. The RFL have the final say on player registrations and have the power to refuse any registration should they believe that player brings the game into disrepute.

However, the RFL would be much more likely to approve Folau’s registrations if it was supported by both Elstone and the Super League clubs, though it’s believed they have yet to be consulted on the matter.

Both the RFL and Super League refused to comment when contacted by TotalRL on Monday.

Folau is an NRL champion, State of Origin winner and World Cup Finalist in the 13-man game and boasts an impressive pedigree in rugby union, ending his spell in the game as Australia’s fourth all-time leading scorer.

Reports in Australia suggest Folau is desperate to remain a professional athlete and wants to return to rugby league.

But NRL chairman Peter V’landys has emphatically dismissed any chance of him returning to the competition.

“The game is inclusive. Israel’s comments are not inclusive,” V’landys said last year.

“I have no tolerance for people that put other people’s lives (at risk) or (commit) violence. It’s a big statement to make.”

That has seen Folau turn to Super League and Catalans, who are on the lookout for a centre following the departure of Brayden Wiliame midway through the off-season.

The club has seen attempts to sign Cronulla centre Josh Dugan end unsuccessfully and now they have set their sights on Folau.

The news will likely come as a surprise to other Super League clubs who aren’t thought to have been contacted on the matter as of Monday evening.

Last year, Warrington chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick said Super League should reject any attempts to register Folau in the competition.

“I understand they are his own personal views, but he needs to keep them to himself and stop spouting that nonsense on social media,” he said.

“Super League should not entertain him and, should it occur, it refuse any requested registration.”

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-an ... troversial-star/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by Caboosegg »

Folau has a right to his religious views, he hasn't said he won't play against someone who is homosexual and his religion states that homosexuals will go to hell.

why is everyone so afraid of being offended. we have freedom of speech, we don't have to agree with each other and he not gone out and said i'm going to murder anyone... infact his religion is also against violence and loving each other regardless of differences. everyone is a sinner and all that.

incluvisness works both ways, Folau is allowed to have his view and air them the same as everyone else. as long as he doesn't let him effect his game or use his club to further his views I have no issue.

FFS JJB is Christian goes around doing talks promoting how RL helped him find faith.... no uproar there and he is using his position and influence and covert others.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

When did the world become so PC ffs, Political Correctness is destroying everything, He has strong religious views yet when he says them in public he is suddenly more evil than Hitler and Chairman Mao combined, I don't agree with what he said but he had a right to say it but then he should have realised that only certain groups of people are allowed to be outspoken and it's usually the ones who get triggered by what others say, Any fan with a problem should have a think back to when Warrington signed a bloke who liked letting his dog lick his twig and giggleberries, Where was the worldwide condemnation then, If he wants to sign then let him sign and let his rugby do the talking
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’s getting to the point of restraint of trade,same with Barba who seemingly got banned for nothing,legally of course I’m talking as no charges where ever brought against him I think I’m right in saying.

The day we become afraid of free speech,no matter how moronic that speech is (and he’s a fruit loop that’s for certain) then the pc brigade have won.

In no way do I agree with what he’s said but he has a right to say it,it’s his opinion so long as no laws are broken,because his views are so stupid surely we can’t take them seriously?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Well they've signed him so let's see how it goes. Don't agree with some of his beliefs but he's entitled to have them. Was a great player during his time in league and will create plenty of headlines for the start of the season. My main interest is in where they will play him. He's best at fullback but Sam already has that spot, especially with Gigot moving. Are they thinking of playing him at centre to replace Williame?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Well he seems to have signed for Catalan let the protests begin
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

The guy’s a moron. In the 21st century how anyone could hold his beliefs is beyond me.

There’s freedom of speech and then there’s being an uneducated idiot.

The NRL, Australian RU and English RU have all said they don’t want him in their leagues (using their free speech, not PC brigade nonsense) Really bad publicity move from SL letting this happen.

Can I also say that his ‘beliefs’ are simply that ‘beliefs’ not based in fact or truth. They’re disgusting and when left unchallenged can turn into something quite horrible.

He can say what he wants but he’s screwed up his big money career in Oz. Maybe his beliefs don’t tally up in a modern society?

I personally wouldn’t want someone of his character at our club. And that’s my freedom of speech.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan to hold a pride day excellent move by the club https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/202 ... -pride-day
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Richymac wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:52 pm The guy’s a moron. In the 21st century how anyone could hold his beliefs is beyond me.

There’s freedom of speech and then there’s being an uneducated idiot.

The NRL, Australian RU and English RU have all said they don’t want him in their leagues (using their free speech, not PC brigade nonsense) Really bad publicity move from SL letting this happen.

Can I also say that his ‘beliefs’ are simply that ‘beliefs’ not based in fact or truth. They’re disgusting and when left unchallenged can turn into something quite horrible.

He can say what he wants but he’s screwed up his big money career in Oz. Maybe his beliefs don’t tally up in a modern society?

I personally wouldn’t want someone of his character at our club. And that’s my freedom of speech.
Just to point out the big bang is also a theory... not fact.

His character, you might want to read up on Christianity, its not a very hateful religion and we have plenty of other Christian players in SL should we get rid of all those because there view doesn't align with yours.?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 pm Wigan to hold a pride day excellent move by the club https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/202 ... -pride-day
Against the club that has just signed Folau . That can't just be a coincidence. A bit of point making there methinks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Regards EW
Last edited by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 and EW is hooked