SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by josie andrews »

Folau said he'd taken on board the concerns and promised not to make any comments that could cause offence.

"I acknowledge the views expressed by Super League and the Rugby Football League," said Folau.

"I'm a proud Christian, my beliefs are personal, my intention is not to hurt anyone and I will not be making further public comment about them.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

I thought he was a Muslim the way people were commenting on his religion 🤔🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League boss fumes at Israel Folau signing, rival club will meet him with LGBTQ pride day

Super League CEO Robert Elstone admits he’s disappointed by Catalans’ decision to sign Israel Folau but said legally there was little he could do to prevent it.

And a rival club has promised to meet Folau with an LGBTQ pride event to show their disgust at his homophobic views.

Folau’s infamous Instagram post in which he warned hell awaits homosexuals ended in his sacking by Rugby Australia (RA) last May.

Watch the 2020 NRL Nines tournament LIVE & On-Demand on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

But the two sides announced a confidential settlement in December after the Federal Circuit Court ordered a mediation following Folau’s decision to sue RA for religious discrimination.

Former ARL chief Peter Beattie immediately closed the door on any possible NRL return but Elstone said there was no legal recourse for him to follow suit.

“Super League deplores the homophobic comments Israel Folau has made in the past, which squarely contradict our sport’s core values,” Elstone said.

“I have sought the opinion of informed voices connected to our game, and the majority share my disappointment that one of our clubs has chosen to sign him.

There is a strong feeling that the decision to sign him lets down many people connected to our sport.

“I made Catalans Dragons aware of those views.

“However, Super League does not have the authority to veto the registration of players and is satisfied by the due diligence carried out by The Rugby Football League.

“Israel Folau is a free agent, who has the right to work, and he has not been charged or found guilty of any criminal offence.

“Catalans Dragons has assured Super League that strict guidelines are in place to prevent the player from repeating his comments.

“They have also assured us that his contract will be terminated immediately should he do so.”

In the immediate wake of Folau’s signing, the Wigan Warriors announced they will host a pride event to celebrate LGBTQ people when they play Folau’s Dragons in Round 6.

A statement by the Rugby Football League echoed Elstone’s concerns but said it is the decision of clubs to decide who they sign.

“The RFL places a high value on the sport’s reputation in prioritising Inclusion and Diversity - and deplores the player’s previous comments,” the statement read.

“However, the moral responsibility for deciding whether to sign a player sits with individual clubs.

“The player has not been charged or found guilty of any criminal offence.

However distasteful his previous comments, we don’t believe that, under our current regulatory framework, these can prevent his participation in the sport.”

Catalans chairman Bernard Guasch said his club wanted to give Folau a “new opportunity” but do not share the player’s religious beliefs.

“We do not share or condone those views and we are totally committed to our club and our sport being open and welcoming to everyone,” Guasch said.

“We do not believe that those views should be publicly expressed, especially by a high-profile sports person. We have a signed agreement with the RFL.

“Any transgression will trigger an immediate termination of Israel’s contract and a substantial fine for the club.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/super- ... b313436104
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well it’s certainly got everyone talking 😂
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Freedom of speech doesn’t give anyone the right to say what they want. Never has in modern times.

The fact IF is religious does not allow him to get away espousing bigoted views either. Being religious is not a defence and doesn’t give anyone license to do as he did. He doesn’t get a special pass to spout what he did just because he says it’s part of his religious beliefs.

Other players who are religious like SBW may well believe homosexuality is wrong but they don’t react like IF.

Hopefully it’s because given they are religious they they think posting stuff they know will offend another group is not what good Christians or Muslims do. Religious people are supposed to care for others regardless of whether they follow their particular religion or not.

Even if they do harbour the same bigoted views but decide not to post them on social media that is better than what IF did. It at least shows they know modern society doesn’t tolerate that sort of behaviour and that such behaviour can have consequences, which it did have for IF until Les Cats bailed out the unrepentant moron.

Wigan’s response is absolutely brilliant.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Imagine if he went on a night out round Leigh with a certain ex Leyther player whose missus is quite wealthy...

Lol
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Israel Folau: Wigan considered signing sacked rugby union international

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51288247
bertina

Post by bertina »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 pm
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Against the club that has just signed Folau . That can't just be a coincidence. A bit of point making there methinks. Everyone is entitled to there opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Regards EW
Oh I agree very much intentional by the club,my money is on him having a hamstring pull for that game though
My money is on me having one as well! I have nothing against gay people, in fact I have a couple of very good friends who are gay, but Wigan’s stance is pitiful. I am sick to death of having this rammed down my throat, are we not all equal? If not, why are we not having a heterosexual day?
I'm pretty much of that opinion too.
I don't agree with Folau's comments at all, but I don't agree with Wigan's response either.
Why do they have to hold a LGBT parade or whatever it is.?
If everyone is equal, as it should be, then lets just get on with things.
The LGBT community have the rights they campaigned for, and deserve, so why the need for more Pride parades and marches ? In my opinion it has the opposite effect, and just highlights the divisions they have been trying so long to close.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 pm
Folau said he'd taken on board the concerns and promised not to make any comments that could cause offence.

"I acknowledge the views expressed by Super League and the Rugby Football League," said Folau.

"I'm a proud Christian, my beliefs are personal, my intention is not to hurt anyone and I will not be making further public comment about them.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

I thought he was a Muslim the way people were commenting on his religion 🤔🤔
If he had been Josie do you think that anything would have been said/done?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06 pm Freedom of speech doesn’t give anyone the right to say what they want. Never has in modern times.

The fact IF is religious does not allow him to get away espousing bigoted views either. Being religious is not a defence and doesn’t give anyone license to do as he did. He doesn’t get a special pass to spout what he did just because he says it’s part of his religious beliefs.

Other players who are religious like SBW may well believe homosexuality is wrong but they don’t react like IF.

Hopefully it’s because given they are religious they they think posting stuff they know will offend another group is not what good Christians or Muslims do. Religious people are supposed to care for others regardless of whether they follow their particular religion or not.

Even if they do harbour the same bigoted views but decide not to post them on social media that is better than what IF did. It at least shows they know modern society doesn’t tolerate that sort of behaviour and that such behaviour can have consequences, which it did have for IF until Les Cats bailed out the unrepentant moron.

Wigan’s response is absolutely brilliant.
It does in the House of Commons. There is no such thing as free speech outside that building.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am Folau has a right to his religious views, he hasn't said he won't play against someone who is homosexual and his religion states that homosexuals will go to hell.

why is everyone so afraid of being offended. we have freedom of speech, we don't have to agree with each other and he not gone out and said i'm going to murder anyone... infact his religion is also against violence and loving each other regardless of differences. everyone is a sinner and all that.

incluvisness works both ways, Folau is allowed to have his view and air them the same as everyone else. as long as he doesn't let him effect his game or use his club to further his views I have no issue.

FFS JJB is Christian goes around doing talks promoting how RL helped him find faith.... no uproar there and he is using his position and influence and covert others.

Excellent post, freedom of speech is not allowed anymore.