SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews
Posts: 26241
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by josie andrews » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:29 pm

Johnny Vegas joins fans in praising Wigan Warriors' Pride Day stance

Comedian Johnny Vegas has joined many supporters in welcoming Wigan's decision to make their match with Catalans Pride Day following the French club's capture of controversial Israel Folau.

He took to Twitter to write a message which tagged in Halifax player Keegan Hirst, the only openly gay current rugby league player.

https://twitter.com/johnnyvegasreal/sta ... 04486?s=21



https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/johnny ... 1-10226551
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

josie andrews
Posts: 26241
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by josie andrews » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Super League contacted Keegan Hirst on weekend about Israel Folau signing


https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/s ... u-signing/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

DaveO
Posts: 14428
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by DaveO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm

old hooker wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am
Caboosegg wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am
Folau has a right to his religious views, he hasn't said he won't play against someone who is homosexual and his religion states that homosexuals will go to hell.

why is everyone so afraid of being offended. we have freedom of speech, we don't have to agree with each other and he not gone out and said i'm going to murder anyone... infact his religion is also against violence and loving each other regardless of differences. everyone is a sinner and all that.

incluvisness works both ways, Folau is allowed to have his view and air them the same as everyone else. as long as he doesn't let him effect his game or use his club to further his views I have no issue.

FFS JJB is Christian goes around doing talks promoting how RL helped him find faith.... no uproar there and he is using his position and influence and covert others.


Excellent post, freedom of speech is not allowed anymore.
No its not an excellent post because as I said before Freedom of speech does not allow people to say what they like (and never has) and hiding behind "religious beliefs" is not a get out clause.

For example religious people can be racists as much as the next person. One I read about was an American white woman who said African Americans were meant to be oppressed, secondary citizens, because they were descendants of Ham, an Old Testament figure whose son, Canaan, was cursed by Noah. To this woman, the inequities among races were not man-made but divine.

Do you think Freedom of Speech should allow such racist views to be expressed just because the person expressing them is religious? Hopefully not.

The only difference between what Falou did and the opinions this woman expressed is the group who it was targeting.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by Caboosegg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 pm

DaveO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm
old hooker wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am
Caboosegg wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am
Folau has a right to his religious views, he hasn't said he won't play against someone who is homosexual and his religion states that homosexuals will go to hell.

why is everyone so afraid of being offended. we have freedom of speech, we don't have to agree with each other and he not gone out and said i'm going to murder anyone... infact his religion is also against violence and loving each other regardless of differences. everyone is a sinner and all that.

incluvisness works both ways, Folau is allowed to have his view and air them the same as everyone else. as long as he doesn't let him effect his game or use his club to further his views I have no issue.

FFS JJB is Christian goes around doing talks promoting how RL helped him find faith.... no uproar there and he is using his position and influence and covert others.


Excellent post, freedom of speech is not allowed anymore.
No its not an excellent post because as I said before Freedom of speech does not allow people to say what they like (and never has) and hiding behind "religious beliefs" is not a get out clause.

For example religious people can be racists as much as the next person. One I read about was an American white woman who said African Americans were meant to be oppressed, secondary citizens, because they were descendants of Ham, an Old Testament figure whose son, Canaan, was cursed by Noah. To this woman, the inequities among races were not man-made but divine.

Do you think Freedom of Speech should allow such racist views to be expressed just because the person expressing them is religious? Hopefully not.

The only difference between what Falou did and the opinions this woman expressed is the group who it was targeting.
DaveO using old testiment to justify treatment is not christian though. The new testament which Christianity is suppose to be based of is all about forgiveness. And i would be dammed if im giving up Bacon.

IF does not say homosexuals are lesser people, he states all sinners will burn in hell unless they repent and posts a list that basically included everyone. The PC brigade and media just jumped on part of his full post and didnt acknowledge the entire post.

Christianity states all people are sinners and its only buy repenting and living your life through Jesus you can be saved.

I cant arsed going on about this as religion is just as polarizing as brexit but
This would not have been such a issue if it wasnt about religion, we have people who have said and done worse playing the sport our own hardaker has spouted racism in Anger but i didnt see the uproar when he was given a chance.

I don't agree with his post by the way more i looked at the whole post. his bush fire comments are a disgrace, but the initial cause of everything is pure over reaction in my opinion.

I wonder why the issue has been settled and RU didnt want to pursue it in the court, surely if his comment where hate speech they would have nothing to worry about.
The Turkeys voted for Christmas.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices

George Orwell

thegimble
Posts: 5734
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 am

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by thegimble » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Here is a thought

If homosexuality is apporent to the extreme believers of most faiths as most biblical books promotes. Why are people offended when people take that book as been correct and then for a better word preach it. Are any LGBTQ people christians given what the bible says. Then if what Folau said is in the bible then he could be correct. Read below before blowing a gasket please.

Religion at extreme is just as bad as SJW ane extreme right wingers of today.

Now here is a bigger thought existence of god can be argued by everyone. Because it can not be proven either way. What can not be argued is that all biblical books are written by MEN. Which makes its obvious that its not the word of god but of men wanting to control look at the 10 commandments apparently there are 15 but moses flipped and broke a tablet. Bet he had an apple and repair too expensive.

Have read most of the bible and it can be inspiring and bring hope. But there is the element of control and promise of a better life if we do as we are told.

That is not god telling us but men 2000 years ago or more. Now we have SJW telling us what to do. With the promise of deletion on line if we do not conform. See the pattern people and control.

Folau has the right to think what he wants but he has no right not to excpect back lash.

But if LGBTQ issues were an issue to IL we would have had a Pride day years ago. IL jumped on the bandwagon to gain points for the game.

shaunedwardsfanclub
Posts: 6338
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:28 pm

thegimble wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Here is a thought

If homosexuality is apporent to the extreme believers of most faiths as most biblical books promotes. Why are people offended when people take that book as been correct and then for a better word preach it. Are any LGBTQ people christians given what the bible says. Then if what Folau said is in the bible then he could be correct. Read below before blowing a gasket please.

Religion at extreme is just as bad as SJW ane extreme right wingers of today.

Now here is a bigger thought existence of god can be argued by everyone. Because it can not be proven either way. What can not be argued is that all biblical books are written by MEN. Which makes its obvious that its not the word of god but of men wanting to control look at the 10 commandments apparently there are 15 but moses flipped and broke a tablet. Bet he had an apple and repair too expensive.

Have read most of the bible and it can be inspiring and bring hope. But there is the element of control and promise of a better life if we do as we are told.

That is not god telling us but men 2000 years ago or more. Now we have SJW telling us what to do. With the promise of deletion on line if we do not conform. See the pattern people and control.

Folau has the right to think what he wants but he has no right not to excpect back lash.

But if LGBTQ issues were an issue to IL we would have had a Pride day years ago. IL jumped on the bandwagon to gain points for the game.
Or sell tickets!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by Nezza Faz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:31 pm

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:28 pm
thegimble wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Here is a thought

If homosexuality is apporent to the extreme believers of most faiths as most biblical books promotes. Why are people offended when people take that book as been correct and then for a better word preach it. Are any LGBTQ people christians given what the bible says. Then if what Folau said is in the bible then he could be correct. Read below before blowing a gasket please.

Religion at extreme is just as bad as SJW ane extreme right wingers of today.

Now here is a bigger thought existence of god can be argued by everyone. Because it can not be proven either way. What can not be argued is that all biblical books are written by MEN. Which makes its obvious that its not the word of god but of men wanting to control look at the 10 commandments apparently there are 15 but moses flipped and broke a tablet. Bet he had an apple and repair too expensive.

Have read most of the bible and it can be inspiring and bring hope. But there is the element of control and promise of a better life if we do as we are told.

That is not god telling us but men 2000 years ago or more. Now we have SJW telling us what to do. With the promise of deletion on line if we do not conform. See the pattern people and control.

Folau has the right to think what he wants but he has no right not to excpect back lash.

But if LGBTQ issues were an issue to IL we would have had a Pride day years ago. IL jumped on the bandwagon to gain points for the game.
Or sell tickets!
Ha, indeed - I didn't think IL had that in him, not shown it in marketing terms lately ! :shock:

thegimble
Posts: 5734
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 am

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by thegimble » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 pm

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:28 pm
thegimble wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Here is a thought

If homosexuality is apporent to the extreme believers of most faiths as most biblical books promotes. Why are people offended when people take that book as been correct and then for a better word preach it. Are any LGBTQ people christians given what the bible says. Then if what Folau said is in the bible then he could be correct. Read below before blowing a gasket please.

Religion at extreme is just as bad as SJW ane extreme right wingers of today.

Now here is a bigger thought existence of god can be argued by everyone. Because it can not be proven either way. What can not be argued is that all biblical books are written by MEN. Which makes its obvious that its not the word of god but of men wanting to control look at the 10 commandments apparently there are 15 but moses flipped and broke a tablet. Bet he had an apple and repair too expensive.

Have read most of the bible and it can be inspiring and bring hope. But there is the element of control and promise of a better life if we do as we are told.

That is not god telling us but men 2000 years ago or more. Now we have SJW telling us what to do. With the promise of deletion on line if we do not conform. See the pattern people and control.

Folau has the right to think what he wants but he has no right not to excpect back lash.

But if LGBTQ issues were an issue to IL we would have had a Pride day years ago. IL jumped on the bandwagon to gain points for the game.
Or sell tickets!
If he did that and it came out as a fact imagine the SJW would go nuclear. Think its more opportunist than anything else. Just hope we have a straight day too.

Sorry just been sarcastic

old hooker
Posts: 1980
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by old hooker » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:11 pm

DaveO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm
old hooker wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am
Caboosegg wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am
Folau has a right to his religious views, he hasn't said he won't play against someone who is homosexual and his religion states that homosexuals will go to hell.

why is everyone so afraid of being offended. we have freedom of speech, we don't have to agree with each other and he not gone out and said i'm going to murder anyone... infact his religion is also against violence and loving each other regardless of differences. everyone is a sinner and all that.

incluvisness works both ways, Folau is allowed to have his view and air them the same as everyone else. as long as he doesn't let him effect his game or use his club to further his views I have no issue.

FFS JJB is Christian goes around doing talks promoting how RL helped him find faith.... no uproar there and he is using his position and influence and covert others.


Excellent post, freedom of speech is not allowed anymore.
No its not an excellent post because as I said before Freedom of speech does not allow people to say what they like (and never has) and hiding behind "religious beliefs" is not a get out clause.

For example religious people can be racists as much as the next person. One I read about was an American white woman who said African Americans were meant to be oppressed, secondary citizens, because they were descendants of Ham, an Old Testament figure whose son, Canaan, was cursed by Noah. To this woman, the inequities among races were not man-made but divine.

Do you think Freedom of Speech should allow such racist views to be expressed just because the person expressing them is religious? Hopefully not.

The only difference between what Falou did and the opinions this woman expressed is the group who it was targeting.
Freedom of speech means exactly that, too many people love to be self righteous when a controversial issue pops up.I dont agree with Folau but if he wishes to air his views he should be allowed to and so should anyone else.

DaveO
Posts: 14428
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by DaveO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:29 am

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm
old hooker wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am


Excellent post, freedom of speech is not allowed anymore.
No its not an excellent post because as I said before Freedom of speech does not allow people to say what they like (and never has) and hiding behind "religious beliefs" is not a get out clause.

For example religious people can be racists as much as the next person. One I read about was an American white woman who said African Americans were meant to be oppressed, secondary citizens, because they were descendants of Ham, an Old Testament figure whose son, Canaan, was cursed by Noah. To this woman, the inequities among races were not man-made but divine.

Do you think Freedom of Speech should allow such racist views to be expressed just because the person expressing them is religious? Hopefully not.

The only difference between what Falou did and the opinions this woman expressed is the group who it was targeting.
DaveO using old testiment to justify treatment is not christian though. The new testament which Christianity is suppose to be based of is all about forgiveness. And i would be dammed if im giving up Bacon.

IF does not say homosexuals are lesser people, he states all sinners will burn in hell unless they repent and posts a list that basically included everyone. The PC brigade and media just jumped on part of his full post and didnt acknowledge the entire post.

Christianity states all people are sinners and its only buy repenting and living your life through Jesus you can be saved.

I cant arsed going on about this as religion is just as polarizing as brexit but
This would not have been such a issue if it wasnt about religion, we have people who have said and done worse playing the sport our own hardaker has spouted racism in Anger but i didnt see the uproar when he was given a chance.

I don't agree with his post by the way more i looked at the whole post. his bush fire comments are a disgrace, but the initial cause of everything is pure over reaction in my opinion.

I wonder why the issue has been settled and RU didnt want to pursue it in the court, surely if his comment where hate speech they would have nothing to worry about.
What has using the Old Testament v the New got do with the point I made?

The person making those comments was using their religious beliefs to engage in bigotry. So was Falou. My point being your religion is not a defence or a free pass to be a bigot.

Post Reply