SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO
Posts: 14428
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by DaveO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am

old hooker wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm
old hooker wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am


Excellent post, freedom of speech is not allowed anymore.
No its not an excellent post because as I said before Freedom of speech does not allow people to say what they like (and never has) and hiding behind "religious beliefs" is not a get out clause.

For example religious people can be racists as much as the next person. One I read about was an American white woman who said African Americans were meant to be oppressed, secondary citizens, because they were descendants of Ham, an Old Testament figure whose son, Canaan, was cursed by Noah. To this woman, the inequities among races were not man-made but divine.

Do you think Freedom of Speech should allow such racist views to be expressed just because the person expressing them is religious? Hopefully not.

The only difference between what Falou did and the opinions this woman expressed is the group who it was targeting.
Freedom of speech means exactly that, too many people love to be self righteous when a controversial issue pops up.I dont agree with Folau but if he wishes to air his views he should be allowed to and so should anyone else.
Freedom of speech means exactly that? Well go on then, put it to the test.

As an experiment to prove your point, go and post on twitter, Facebook or wherever something that society has well and truly deemed as unacceptable. Such as what he KKK believe, that segregation between races is ok. You don’t have to believe it, it’s just an experiment. Why not?

thegimble
Posts: 5734
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 am

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by thegimble » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:31 am

DaveO wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am
old hooker wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm


No its not an excellent post because as I said before Freedom of speech does not allow people to say what they like (and never has) and hiding behind "religious beliefs" is not a get out clause.

For example religious people can be racists as much as the next person. One I read about was an American white woman who said African Americans were meant to be oppressed, secondary citizens, because they were descendants of Ham, an Old Testament figure whose son, Canaan, was cursed by Noah. To this woman, the inequities among races were not man-made but divine.

Do you think Freedom of Speech should allow such racist views to be expressed just because the person expressing them is religious? Hopefully not.

The only difference between what Falou did and the opinions this woman expressed is the group who it was targeting.
Freedom of speech means exactly that, too many people love to be self righteous when a controversial issue pops up.I dont agree with Folau but if he wishes to air his views he should be allowed to and so should anyone else.
Freedom of speech means exactly that? Well go on then, put it to the test.

As an experiment to prove your point, go and post on twitter, Facebook or wherever something that society has well and truly deemed as unacceptable. Such as what he KKK believe, that segregation between races is ok. You don’t have to believe it, it’s just an experiment. Why not?
They have their own terms of service and own agendas. Whilst i understand what your saying they will ban especially on one side of the political world. Shapiro tested it this week.

So using SJW platforms who are the biggest obstacles to true free speech. As for someone saying what you point out. I would hope we are better than that. But ib fairness we can not even discuss much anymore on most social media platforms as they are the home of the Woke and sjw.

Education is better than censoring.

User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:17 am

And yet when others exercise their freedom of speech to complain about what the first person said and to push successfully for action to be taken, you have a problem with that? that's political correctness gone mad eh? Only the first view is allowed in any conversation?

thegimble
Posts: 5734
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 am

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by thegimble » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 pm

Mike wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:17 am
And yet when others exercise their freedom of speech to complain about what the first person said and to push successfully for action to be taken, you have a problem with that? that's political correctness gone mad eh? Only the first view is allowed in any conversation?
Not anyone is. Problem is we do not have conversations anymore we have ideology and no one on either side will listen. Both sides preach as bad as each other.

Problem is the first reaction was Qantas with fire him or we pull out. Thats why he won millions. If Qantas and him sat down maybe it would have saved them money and he might have learnt something new by talking. Rather than cancelling.

Whats better educating or the continual cycle we have today.

old hooker
Posts: 1980
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by old hooker » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:19 pm

This topic has got silly, said my piece, if you want to say what you think say it , its a simple as that in my opinion.End of story as far as I am concerned

josie andrews
Posts: 26241
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by josie andrews » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Folau: Grateful for Catalans opportunity

Israel Folau says he's grateful for the opportunity Catalans Dragons have given him following his controversial move to the Super League club.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ns-dragons
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by Caboosegg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:24 am

So from my understanding on this subject now.

RL the family orientated sport:

Assault your mrs... welcome to SL
Take drugs.... welcome to SL
Get done for homophobic remarks on the pitch... welcome to SL
Assault a student...Welcome to SL
Let a dog lick your balls..... welcome to SL
Assault a team mate.... welcome to SL
Attack police officers... welcome to SL
Get charged with drink driving.... welcome to SL
Be videoed intimidating female barstaff... welcome to SL

Post a religious comment stating all sinners go to hell unless they repent(because it wasnt just about homosexuals).... No SL doesnt want you go away.

This isnt people standing up for the inclusiveness of the sport, as we have much worse players in SL.

If the others deserved 2nd and 3rd chances why not IF.. (thats easy because religion is involved).
The Turkeys voted for Christmas.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices

George Orwell

josie andrews
Posts: 26241
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: SL & RFL face decision on Israel Folau as Catalans chase controversial star

Post by josie andrews » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Give the guy a break! This with the fallout from the SL clubs is now tantamount to bullying!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

Post Reply